Lenz "Ways To End A Day" LP

We're taking pre-orders for the new Lenz LP "Ways To End A Day"! The album is officially out on February 12th. We did 100 copies on Clear and 400 on Black and they're likely to be gone pretty quickly so don't drag your feet!

Click here to order now and see the preview video for "Moody Michelle" http://www.1234gorecords.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=73

If you're in the bay area there is a FREE record release show on Wednesday January 23rd at The New Parish in Oakland. Lenz will be playing with The Mallard, Casy & Brian and Dragontime. Doors are at 7:30. It's All Ages and Bar w/ID so everyone is welcome! The night is sponsored by local brewer Trummer so not only is it free but Trummer is $3 all night. Not a bad deal if you're in to going out and drinking good beer cheaply!

RSVP on facebook over yonder... http://www.facebook.com/events/382274521854285/

Record release show is tonite! Free at New Parish in Oakland. All Ages & Bar w/ID. They're playing with The Mallard, Casy & Brian and Dragontime.

Also here's the first review for the record that came out just today! http://www.eastbayexpress.com/ebx/lenz/Content?oid=3441821

Any band whose song can get stuck in my head after one listen has my respect — especially if that song appears on its debut album. But then, Oakland-based Lenz already had my attention. Local music critics, including Maximum Rock'n'Roll's Mitch Cardwell, have championed the band; frontman Andy Jordan just released a solid solo album under the name Andy Human and was a founding member of local garage-rock outfit The Cuts; and Lenz regularly shares bills with great acts like The Mallard. And then there is Lenz' music, which sounds like an ode to all my teenage goth fantasies: England, the Eighties, and synthesizers.

Ways to End a Day kicks off with one of its catchiest songs, "Moody Michelle," in which an up-tempo guitar hook that borders on T. Rex-style glam rock is haunted by a gloomy, moaning synth melody. There is a New Order-circa-1987 tone throughout the album, but especially on spaced-out, reverb-heavy tracks like "Roman Holiday" and "Feeling," creating a cerebral, end-of-the-world mood. The emotion is heightened by Jordan's baritone voice — which croons softly on ballad "Dead Zone" and grunts in the battle-cry punk chorus of "Leaving (The 21st Century)." The closing title track shows Lenz experimenting with tense, minimal guitar and synth effects in the art-punk spirit of Wire.

There's no filler on this 33-minute album of eight tracks. And while the pop-forward "Moody Michelle" and "Leaving (The 21st Century)" were the first to burn into my memory, it's the grower "Ways to End a Day" that keeps me coming back. (1-2-3-4 Go! Records)

• 3 weeks later...