My record player is stupid and does this.

I have an ion http://www.amazon.com/ION-Profile-LP-Vinyl-to-MP3-Turntable/dp/B0029QRA1U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359657954&sr=8-1&keywords=ion+turntable

And as of late, when I put the needle over to the record it automatically returns to the rest, sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it does it 5 or 6 times in a row.

I'm either

a. looking for a solution that doesn't probably exist.

b. looking for a new record player, hopefully around one to two hundred.(I know it's not a lot, but it's all I got.)

i feel your pain, man. this happens with my sony.

it's as if the 'stop' button is stuck or something. i took mine apart once to try to fix it. fix was temporary, but now it doesn't happen nearly as often.

other things that have ~worked:

spin the platter in reverse about a full rotation

hold down the stop button and wait for a click

apply the needle in the lift position rather than hitting the start button.

better yet, just get a new table, because as anyone on here will tell you, ions blow.

i feel your pain, man. this happens with my sony.

it's as if the 'stop' button is stuck or something. i took mine apart once to try to fix it. fix was temporary, but now it doesn't happen nearly as often.

other things that have ~worked:

spin the platter in reverse about a full rotation

hold down the stop button and wait for a click

apply the needle in the lift position rather than hitting the start button.

better yet, just get a new table, because as anyone on here will tell you, ions blow.

Yeah, it was a christmas present a year ago and I didn't have the heart to tell my parents.

I'll see if it helps, mine doesn't have a start button.

But how much worse is the actual quality?  I have a kick-ass sound system, but does the player make it the much worse?

I had an Ion turntable that did the same thing. It probably is fixable but the turntables are so cheap there's no point, I ended up just buying a better turntable.

Same situation here. First table was an Ion that started acting up with this problem about a year later. I switched over to a Technica for cheap and have been pretty happy with it since.