vinyl care

i'm opening this thread because i'm looking for some suggestions about taking care of my vinyl records. well, let's begin.

have you ever found one of your records a bit bent? i mean, you can't notice it naked eye, but if you watch at the record profile while it's turning on the turntable, you'll see it, like, waving a bit. when this thing happens, is there any way to fix the record?

i'll try with some heavy books cuz it seems to be the easiest way. and moreover now fall's arriving so we'll probably have more fog than sun...

anyway i have another question: when i have a quite old and quite dusty record, i usually clean it firstly with a carbon fiber brush, and aftare with an appropriate cloth. instead how do you usually clean old and dusty records? and in general how do you take care of them?

Under no circumstances would I ever leave a record in the sun. BAD idea. But yeah, weighing it down under glass is okay as long as the weight is evenly distributed. And I would put a thin layer of padding between the record and the glass, like a soft paper towel or something.

mmmm...ok. anyway i don't think i'll do this glass thing...

• 2 weeks later...
i think so. i usually buy the paper inners and the plastic lining separately and use them in tandem. this just puts them together in one sleeve. my only concern would be the shipping to get it all the way to italy. theres got to be someone closer to you who has these.

i've just gotten that stuff from him once, the shipping cost weren't too high. i just wanted to hear your opinion anyway. thanks :)

i'm opening this thread because i'm looking for some suggestions about taking care of my vinyl records. well, let's begin.

have you ever found one of your records a bit bent? i mean, you can't notice it naked eye, but if you watch at the record profile while it's turning on the turntable, you'll see it, like, waving a bit. when this thing happens, is there any way to fix the record?

answer, from Mr. Jeremy DeVine himself:

This is probably a really, really stupid question, but is there any way to de-warp vinyl? I was going to play the first LP for All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone a couple days ago, but the batteries in turntable went out before I even put the needle on it. Being a dumbass, I left the record on the turntable and the sun got to it. Now I'm kind of pissed off and frustrated at myself because I loved that thing to death.

Anyway, this is probably the wrong thread, but since we're talking about vinyl...

Sandwich the record between two panes of glass and lay it on a flat surface in a warm environment for about an hour. Not too hot, just warm enough to warp a record in the first place (80-90 degrees). I used to do this in college and it worked great. I never noticed any wobbling of the audio after it was flattened, but that all really depends on how warped the record is to begin with.

answer, from Mr. Jeremy DeVine himself:

Sandwich the record between two panes of glass and lay it on a flat surface in a warm environment for about an hour. Not too hot, just warm enough to warp a record in the first place (80-90 degrees). I used to do this in college and it worked great. I never noticed any wobbling of the audio after it was flattened, but that all really depends on how warped the record is to begin with.

80-90 degrees...celsius or fahrenheit? fahrenheit i suppose