Mustard Plug Kickstarter

you know kickstarter is great, in theory.  i just can't wrap my dumb head around "why does someone who helps make this happen have to pay more".

i want to help but i don't want to feel like a chump because i can get a copy cheaper after the kickstart.

i want to support MP and their desire to get back to their past style but it will have to wait.  i'll go to a show or buy the record from No Idea or Asbestos 

I understand the feelings...but if you look at it as "my own personal purchase" then yes, there is no point for the kickstarter.

Yes, they are a band.  They want to make more money, so they want to put out the album themselves...this requires a lot of money upfront, and I honestly believe a band like the plug cannot do it without financial help.  I have no problem paying $5 more for the LP so they can put it out DIY and then make a higher profit.

Seriously, if both of you bought ANYTHING from asbestos records, the vinyl prices are similar after shipping (some releases are $5 more), so what's the deal?  The Big D kickstarter vinyl price was outrageous, but I don't think $20 SHIPPED is too much for an LP from a DIY band raising monies.

My main issue with the whole Kickstarter thing is how much of a cut KS and Amazon take. I don't mind paying $20-30 for a record, but this service takes a huge cut of the profits.

That being said, I understand that in order for them to actually make any money crowd-sourcing their only option is Kickstarter regardless of the fees. And who knows, I may end up contributing to the KS. We'll see if they annoince any more info on those covers!

• 5 months later...