Should I buy this?

Hard to say for sure without seeing it in the flesh but it looks like a good buy and fully auto for a novice is always good. I would still haggle the price down as much as possible

He mentions low output though and this can be either he has it plugged into the wrong input on his amplifer, it has a low output MC cartridge or the cartridge/stylus are knackered. Worst case there is you need a new cart which for a cheap one is not a lot of money and again as a novice a cheap one is probably advisable, you would of course need someone to set it up for you.

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them.

I also found this one: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/4243507669.html The guy says hes taken it out of the box once and never played it and I can get it for $70. What do you think about it? Is it a better deal? The 11th and 12th pictures are for the turntable.

The Numark is trash, even if it has never been played.

The JVC ... not a bad entry-level table at all.  However, homeboy sounds like he's clueless, and judging from the photos, it doesn't look to be in the best shape.  You're obviously a newbie, and we're talking about ... what ... a 30 year old direct drive deck with lots of potential issues under the hood?  I would hold off, unless you know someone local who is knowledgeable and who might be able to check out the turntable for you.  $40 isn't much, but I still think it's a risk.

I don't see anything listed that really excites me.  This Pioneer PL-10 appears to be in decent shape, but you can't really tell much from the ad. $70 is a little too high, but it's not outrageous.  The nice thing about the PL-10 is that there's not too much going on mechanically.  Repairs would be much less complicated, should you run into any trouble.  I can't tell if it has auto-return (probably not) but it looks to have a cueing lever at least.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/4253719888.html