Poorly worded TT troubleshooting question.

Hey,

So I don't even know how to describe what its doing...

My turntable is like - stalling? It isn't skipping and it isn't spinning at the wrong speed but it will randomly like cut as if the belt is having trouble going.

It will just sort of stop the song and start up again like half a second later - in the same place it stopped.

I have no idea how to troubleshoot it - I've got a Kenwood KD-47F table.

Anyone have any idea whats up?

Update: So, I replaced my belt and that seemed to work for a little while but it's starting doing the same thing it was doing before.

It's pretty damn upsetting.

I think I'm going to buy a U-Turn table but I won't have the money for like 3 weeks and then its close to 7 weeks before I'll actually have it,

what do?

Can you recreate it whenever you like?

Does it happen in roughly the same spot on each record? Example, on a 12" record does the problem occur regularly at the start of a record, the middle or toward the end? If it only happens in the middle/end. What about playing a 7"? Does it have problems?

It may be the auto return is acting up, and 'thinks' it's at the end of the record so stops. Maybe? Just a thought

Can you recreate it whenever you like?

Does it happen in roughly the same spot on each record? Example, on a 12" record does the problem occur regularly at the start of a record, the middle or toward the end? If it only happens in the middle/end. What about playing a 7"? Does it have problems?

It may be the auto return is acting up, and 'thinks' it's at the end of the record so stops. Maybe? Just a thought

I've definitely noticed it on both 12'' and 7'' records. It does however seem to happen near the start of the recording most times, it has happened further into it but it's less common there.

just thinking by logic.

does it happen at the same spot at the same interval of rotation? maybe the motor is going bad or needs to be oiled up?

I've only just started to notice this problem and will need to watch it closely and experiment a little when I have time. I'll update when I can.

A worn belt is always possible and quite likely anyway of the TT is a few years old but I would expect it to have more trouble starting and keeping speed than randomly stopping. For it to stop because of a worn belt that you don't have starting or random speed issues with you would need to have a fair amount of tracking force on your stylus to create enough resistance once the thing is actually spinning.

If it's slipping on start-up you should be able to hear it, turn the amp off and just listen to the deck on start up.

There's lots of info on the net, you tube videos etc. regarding checking and changing belts but it depends how technical you are as you need to take the platter off to get at and check the belt.

• 2 months later...

It could still be a bad connection somewhere or something in the auto not quite making contact.

I would still expect you to have start up issues if it were drive related so belt or motor.

Trouble is it will possibly be difficult to find as you will need to open it up enough to see what is going on and get it to repeat doing it, find what is actually causing it then repeat it not doing it once you have fixed it to be sure you have actually found the problem

It could still be a bad connection somewhere or something in the auto not quite making contact.

I would still expect you to have start up issues if it were drive related so belt or motor.

Trouble is it will possibly be difficult to find as you will need to open it up enough to see what is going on and get it to repeat doing it, find what is actually causing it then repeat it not doing it once you have fixed it to be sure you have actually found the problem

Problem is the table wont spin without the needle being in place, so i can't open it up and get it to spin, unless i took the cartridge off maybe?

It should spin by just holding the arm and gently moving it across towards the centre, it shouldn’t need to touch the record, there should be a switch that's made when the arm moves across enough and another near the end of the travel that makes when it get near the end to start the auto process of returning the arm.

It's one of the biggest problems with these auto decks in that they are not really made to be taken apart or repaired and there are just more bits to go wrong.