Putting Records in Storage

BBech

I'm going on one of those long buisness trips those in the military sometimes have to go on and I was curious what was the best way you suggest I store my records while I'm away?

I'm stuck with either giving my parents hundreds of records to drive halfway across the country with and hope the care with them correctly or I could put them in a storage facuility with all my other stuff. Also what would you recommend for storage containers to best protect them?

Personally, I would only put mine in an indoor climate-controlled unit. A bit pricey but at least you don't have to worry about heat and humidity. I have a 10' x 10' unit that I keep books, comics, and CDs in and it runs about $120 a month. I put my stuff on plastic pallets to 1) keep them off the ground in case the building floods, and 2) make it difficult for critters to get them. The complex sprays for bugs once a month, or so they say.

Here are the pallets I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Vestil-SKID-20-Plastic-Capacity-Length/dp/B003SI704A/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1389151473&sr=1-2&keywords=plastic+pallet

The temp in the unit is held around 70-75 which is just a little too warm for my liking but it should be sufficient for records. I keep a thermometer/humidity monitor in there and I went there when it was in the low 100's and the temp showed a high of around 76 with a relative humidity high of about 50%. If that is the worst of it, it should be ok. I used to have a unit that was kept at 65 which was great but it was not conveniently located and was only 5' x 10'. That temp will keep bugs away because it is too cold. Not sure about mice.

You can buy plastic archival storage boxes from Bags Unlimited. These should help deter mice.

https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3840-12-record-storage-box-font-colorredplastic-corrugatedfont.aspx