Beginner post - need help with setup!

So I'm just starting to collect vinyl and I need some questions answered before I make some bad investments and do things the wrong way.

I've read the beginners guide so I know what kind of turntables not to buy and such; I just need help with my pre amp/stereo situation. I plan on buying U-Turn so I'll need a pre amp also. However, my stereo has no RCA auxiliary input ports, the only input source is a headphone jack that I usually just use to play my iPod though. Would i be able to hook the turntable to the pre amp with RCA cables, and hook the pre amp to my stereo with a cable that converts RCA to a headphone jack for the auxiliary-IN port on my stereo?

I could assume this will make sound come through my speakers, but will I get the same quality of sound as using a pre amp with a stereo that has RCA input ports?

I don't know if this extra information will help you help me, but I use some exceptional polk audio floor speakers my dad had in storage. I'm happy with the sound I get with them, I'm just hoping for the same quality sound with a turntable.

Any help is appreciated as I'm anxious to get started with my new hobby.