On my 2nd Pro-ject Debut Carbon; can you help me?

So...I bought a pro-ject debut carbon new through amazon.

I was experiencing distortion on the highs and so I returned the turntable.

In another thread ("don't buy a crosley"), it was suggested I "don't throw out the baby with the bathwater", saying the issue was the cartridge not the turntable. I reluctantly bought another Debut Carbon on amazon.

This second Debut Carbon is worse than the last one.

The high end distortion is atrocious on anything with an "s" or "t" (sibilance type frequencies).

I've tried adjusting the weight and the anti skate, nothing seems to work.

In addition, the high end also seems to sound far away (it seems when any reverb is used), and backing vocals are coming in louder and clearer than lead vocals.

I'm assuming this is a tracking, or some other issue with the needle, but I am a complete newbie in this department.  I am so frustrated, and this is overwhelming.

Here is what I am using for amplification:

2 different receivers (just using the phono input) Technics SA-GX390 and JVC R-X350V

they seem to do fine with CD players through the CD inputs, so I'm not thinking it's the receivers. 

My speakers are pretty average too, if that might give more light (though again, CDs play fine)

TEAC LS-MC80 and Yamaha NS-AP4400M

I am also willing to pay someone to get the table working right, if it's just my stupidity and not an issue with the table/needle/cartridge

Are there any shops in Orange County, CA somebody can recommend that would set it up for a charge??

So adjusting the azimuth has helped dramatically, but there is still more fine tuning to do and I've kinda hit a wall in terms of limit of my knowledge.  

Still too much distortion to make it "listenable".

As stated before, I'm a complete newb to higher end turntables.

Tried videos and still not sure how to use the two-point cartridge alignment protractor.

However, upon closer view and setup, it seems there is a long crack on the base, so I'll have to return the item.

At least I am learning slowly, just wish there were more pictures/videos on set up for this thing, as I'm a visual learner.

The two point protractor is just that.

each of the two measuring points will have a centre point where you place the tip of the stylus and using the lines around this centre point check that you cartridge body, cartridge cantilever (the shaft the tip is on) and headshell leading edge are all square to the lines on the protractor when viewed head on and from above. 

basically you place the protractor on the platter (it should have a hole to line it up on the spindle) and rotate the platter until you can place your stylus tip so that it sits in the first measuring point, you then make your checks, then rotate the platter until you can place your stylus in the 2nd measuring point and make you 2nd set of checks, if any error is found you then adjust the cartridge back and forth etc and repeat the tests until you can get accurate alignment at both measuring points.

The other one to consider is VTA (vertical tracking angle) this should be correct on the Project as you can's easily adjust it which is one of this turntables bad marks but still worth a check.

Adjusting the VTA by means of using shims etc at the cartridge or lifting the tone arm on arms that allow that to change the angle that the stylus hits the groove will alter how the cartridge sounds, basically too much one way will give you all top end (which can lead to sibilance) and the other all bottom and error in both directions will adversely effect the stereo image and soundstage.

as a rule of thumb the tonearm tube should be horizontally flat when playing but as I say this is a rule of thumb as some combinations vary slightly from this but generally you can hear the sweet spot where it is right.

The idea of tables like these is that all this should be right from the get go and all you should have to adjust is tracking force and anti skate if it's fitted but if not it can be a bugger to adjust the other variables that can effect cartridge alignment.

Someone else had the exact same issue. I tried to tell them the answer, but it got looked over. 

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/94714-help-me-out/

I'm going to agree with him ^ I have a Marantz 2230 that would make the harsh "S" More so on my better records. I used to just turn the treble down and it would help a lot. Thought it was just my debut III because I was always messing with cartridges and alignment.

Then I recently got a Debut Carbon, I noticed a lot of my records were starting to sound harsh and hollow

I hooked up my other receive (HK 3390) and all of my problems went away and the sound got significantly better. Bummer about the Marantz but I'm almost certain its phono pre-amp was the cause of any harshness. Need to take that bad boy in to get serviced.