Dedicated Receiver

Hey guys, do you recommend having a dedicated receiver and speakers for your turntable set up? I current have everything (TV, PS3/4, cable box and turntable) running through my Pioneer receiver. (Model number:VSX-523-K)

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

depends a little bit on your receiver and what speakers you are using for your AV setup.

I used to have a turntable hooked up to an AV receiver and it worked ok.  I was using two large tower speakers (Polk Monitor 70s) that were fairly competent.  The thing that I found annoying was that even in stereo mode, the receiver still ran with the subwoofer which didn't sound as good as my two front speakers running in straight 2.0.

Not necessary. As long as you're using a phono preamp through your receiver, and only using your left and right channels, nothing else.

I current have it running through all five speakers not just left and right. Will this dramatically change the sound quality or it is it a preference thing?

Stereo through an AV receiver will always be a compromise and as has been said above it needs to run in proper 2.0 mode to get the best you can out of it.

An AV receiver will work but eggs for eggs quality wise a proper 2 channel amplifier will do a better job. I have a decent turntable hooked up to my AV receiver and it never gets used because compared to my proper hifi it sounds completely cack, that said I am using the on board phono stage in the AV receiver which I expect is piss poor at best.

When you listen to music push the "direct" button on front of the receiver to turn off all additional equalization/digital processing that your receiver is doing and you should be fine. This will also turn off the surround speakers so you just get left/right stereo audio as your records were meant to be listened to.

Stereo through an AV receiver will always be a compromise and as has been said above it needs to run in proper 2.0 mode to get the best you can out of it.

An AV receiver will work but eggs for eggs quality wise a proper 2 channel amplifier will do a better job. I have a decent turntable hooked up to my AV receiver and it never gets used because compared to my proper hifi it sounds completely cack, that said I am using the on board phono stage in the AV receiver which I expect is piss poor at best.

I would just add that this generalization will usually hold true depending on the units you would be specifically comparing. When Allen says "proper" 2 channel amp I'm assuming he means something above entry level, and most people buy entry level receivers for their TVs like the Pioneer mentioned in this thread. But there are some very nice AVRs out there that can outperform any entry level $200-$300 stereo amp, even with an on-board phono stage taken into consideration.

yanquiuxo is absolutely correct there is some superb sounding AV kit out there but as with all things it tends to cost, I meant with all things being equal and like for like value wise the 2 channel will do a better job.

So to answer your question yes in an ideal world it's better to have a proper 2 channel amp but If what you have is an entry level AV then it will do a perfectly good job and if you go 2 channel just for your vinyl you will need to have everything of a similar quality to get the best out of it, and then you are in danger of venturing into the wallet emptying quest for hifi nirvana that with the law of diminishing returns can send you completely tonto.

With my own AV system I had a really nice sounding Rotel unit which I bought on musicality and 2 channel sound quality alone but it never quite worked HDMI properly, so I sold it on and I picked up an older highish end Onkyo, it has never sounded anywhere near as nice as the Rotel and the on board phono is woeful but it does do all the things I ask of it rather than most of them. I have got a couple of decent off board phono stages so I should really use one to see how much difference it makes.