Hi, so I currently have a Audio Technica LP120 (I know it's not the best thing in the world) and I'm planning on upgrading the cartridge to the Ortofon 2M Red. The thing is I run some powered speakers through the pre-amp in the TT and I'm wondering if it would be smarter to get myself a nice receiver/pre-amp to improve sound quality over getting a new cartridge. I also plan on getting a nicer pair of speakers, but I figure those can wait.

Thank you for any advice you can give me!

I'm super new to this, so I might be wrong, but if you buy a receiver, you'll have to buy new speakers, too. I was reading in a thread here that powered speakers + receiver = bad juju. I see a lot of people running TT->pre-amp->powered speakers here, so that's an option? But, again, I'm only going off what I've heard here, so I could be wrong.

I'm super new to this, so I might be wrong, but if you buy a receiver, you'll have to buy new speakers, too. I was reading in a thread here that powered speakers + receiver = bad juju. I see a lot of people running TT->pre-amp->powered speakers here, so that's an option? But, again, I'm only going off what I've heard here, so I could be wrong.

This is completely correct

The 2M red is a fine cart but I think I would get the rest of the chain up to speed first, the AT120 is a perfectly good turntable and a lot better than the usual plastic rubbish, the standard AT cart is good enough to start with so yes I would look at a new amplifier and speakers.

Again turntable to phono stage to powered speakers works but is not difficult to better.

Have a read up on the beginner threads as the differences between the different types of amplifiers and receivers are explained along with their pros and cons.

Also consider second hand but if you are a beginner make sure you can return stuff if it isn't working or for you, and generally if it's cheap there’s a reason why.

I personally prefer normal amplifiers over receivers but that receiver will do a job for you although there are possibly better choices for a little more money, that said making sure all the bits in the chain complement each other is important so provided the speakers you run with it suit it and the size of the room you are putting it in you will get a perfectly acceptable sound quality.

The on board phono stage might not be all that good as they are a bit of an afterthought in modern receivers but it will be better than the one in your AT120 and a few of the cheaper external ones I expect and up to the job of the standard AT cart, plus you can always add a decent external one into one of the line inputs as an upgrade at a later stage.

Phono stage is another name for phono pre and shows my age and nationality.

If you're going to go ahead and get new speakers now, perhaps it would be better to get the receiver and the speakers? I only took a quick look at the speakers, but unless they're powered speakers, won't you need a receiver to go with the phono box and speakers? Or does the phono box act as the amp/receiver, too? The setup you have right now is the TT, internal pre-amp, and powered speakers. You could buy an upgraded pre-amp to put between them, and be running TT->pre-amp->powered speakers. But if you buy a pre-amp and new non-powered speakers, you'd still need a receiver to go between them. So, wouldn't it be best/more effective to buy the speakers and the receiver and use the receiver's built-in pre-amp until you decide to buy a separate one? This might not make any sense, or might be wrong, since I'm still learning how it all works.

As Kevin ! says above yes you still need an amplifier between the phono box and speakers.

basically all hifi except for a turntable has an output at the same level so the phono stage does the job of getting the turntable signal up to that level. After that to get music you need an amplifier and speakers which can be:

1) powered speakers (built in amplifer)

2) an amplifier or receiver (a receiver is an amplifier with a built in radio) and normal (passive) speakers

The give away between powered and un powered (passive) speakers is that the powered ones need electricity to work (plug into the wall etc.)

I suppose I better post this in the beginner thread as well.