Couple questions about upgrading

Hi,

I currently have a Sony LX300USB.

In addition to upgrading my TT, I'd like to get a receiver and some better speakers.

So for a new TT, I was looking at the Audio Technica AT-LP120. Would that be much of an upgrade?  I'm open to suggestions, new and used. I would like to spend less than $400.

I know very little about receivers. However, I do know that I would like to get one that would take my TV, Xbox and TT all in one. Would it be possible to pick one up that could do all that for around $300? Or would I be better off getting one just for the TT? And what about one being low-profile? These things seem to be huge.

Not too concerned about speakers. I'm much more familiar about speakers than receivers or turntables.

Then that leaves one last question, am I missing anything else that I might need for a proper upgrade?

Thanks for the assistance! 

This exact thread has been done over and over, with topics on the first page. LOOK around even slightly and read this http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/88504-dont-buy-a-crosley-ever-beginner%E2%80%99s-guide-to-hi%E2%80%93fi/

I appreciate the time and effort put into posting this here, but I did read that thread more than once and I didn't quite find the answers I was looking for. Sorry for rustling your jimmies with my thread.

I also got a helpful response via PM... so I think I'll be okay if this ends up locked/deleted.

How long do you plan on listening to vinyl for? Something like a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is more future proof than the LP120 in my opinion. I've never heard one, but I had a Pro-Ject Essential (their lowest model) and I loved it.

Here's a review of the LP120 http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/ . Quite a few people here have them and seem to like them, but I'm guessing they've never heard a better turntable. An LP120 seems more like a sidestep from your current table than a step forward.

How long do you plan on listening to vinyl for? Something like a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon is more future proof than the LP120 in my opinion. I've never heard one, but I had a Pro-Ject Essential (their lowest model) and I loved it.

Here's a review of the LP120 http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-turntable/ . Quite a few people here have them and seem to like them, but I'm guessing they've never heard a better turntable. An LP120 seems more like a sidestep from your current table than a step forward.

i've been looking at the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, RP1 and U-Turn Orbit as well as the LP120. I know that the three I listed are much more step-ups, but I wasn't exactly sure how well the LP120 held up in comparison to my current turntable. The LP120 has a counter balance, anti skating and a few other features that mine doesn't. 

I'm leaning toward the Orbit, but I plan on looking more into the Carbon and RP1. I will check out the Essential as well. 

I would re-read that beginner thread again as the answers are all in there and have been answered quite a few times in threads with similar questions to yours but of course that's easy for me to say as I have a fair understanding of it all.

Hopefully the below will help a bit.

The AT 120 is a big step up from the Sony LX300USB and all the other similar ones with different badges but an Orbit or a Debut Carbon are another stup up again from that.

It depends what you expect from your turntable and whether you are the sort of person who likes to upgrade and change.

If you are going to use a surround sound receiver and Bose speakers or a soundbar or other multi channel audio visual amps and speakers then get the AT 120 as spending the extra on the Project or the Orbit won't reward you.

the AT-120 is a copy of a DJ turntable so has some features that are only useful to a DJ like variable speed but does have some hifi type features as well and does do a perfectly good job if not a top of the tree one. The on board phono stage is not very good but again this depends on what you have heard before quality wise and what you are using as an amplifier and speakers, it does have a couple of useful features that the Orbit and the Projects don't like a removable head shell and adjustable VTA (changing the arm height) which can be very useful when changing to a different cartridge.

The AT-120 can be made to sound very nice as the basics are there but it does need a bit of technical and electronic skill to get it there.

If you are going to get a proper 2 speaker hifi amplifier, speakers and phono stage then the Orbit and the Project will reward you more as that is the sort of system that these turntables are designed to run into.

Don't get me wrong you can get a multi channel AV amplifier/receiver to sound quite nice and if that suits your needs that's all good but it will always be a compromise.

If you want the best out of your records then it is a lot easier and quite often cheaper with a proper 2 channel hifi system but if you want the system to do surround sound then you have to accept that compromise, that or use an add on amplifier that adds the other channels, the problem with these is that they don't do the really up to day processing available.