Tips on Removing Adhesive Residue from Speaker Cabinets?

Hey,

Im an idiot and put those sticky rubber pads on the bottom of my speakers. Tried taking them off and they left a nasty residue. I was able to get most of it off but there is just enough on there to bother me. They are wood veneer so I dont want to try and use something that is going to make the situation worse. Ive read that goo gone is a possibility.

Anyone have any tips or experience with this?

Well I can tell you this much...

I used to have a bunch of stickers on an acoustic guitar - took them off much later cause I thought they were lame.

But now the guitbox has a lot of sticker residue, so I wanted to find something that would remove it without damaging the finish.

I use olive oil, a facecloth and LOTS of elbow grease.

A speaker cab is much different I know but it would probably work and I couldn't see it really damaging anything. You'd probably want to really wet and wipe after though, to take get the oily slickness off.

Plus its totally safe to use, no harsh chems or pollutants.

Forgot to mention, if you go with olive oil, you might want to let it sit on the residue for a bit to soften it.

Another alternative might be lemon oil, that might be more effective actually I just don't seem to have any around anymore. Lemon oil is actually pretty heavy stuff that you have to be careful with too. If you have pets or anything, or if you're going to be handling food or washing dishes, just go with olive oil first. It's completely safe and it does work.
My guitar was CAKED with residue that was on there for years. I got bummed cause I didn't wanna use any harsh chems and just a cloth and effort weren't cutting it. Now my vintage beauty is slowly, but surely being restored.  It helps take the stuff off but you still have to work at it a bit. Olive oil + a cloth + friction = safe, common, cheap, and effective.

Goo Gone is probably toxic as fuck. I would NEVER buy or use something like that. I would just try olive oil first, you've probably already got some in the kitchen and unless you go completely nuts with it and let it leak into and completely saturate the speaker I'm sure it can't do harm.

If you are going to use some product I would look into D Solv It - it's made from citrus oils and other stuff, I don't know  100% what's in it but I've heard it can do stuff like remove adhesive residue and other gunk. And they say it's all natural/safe to use. You can look it up online. I would definitely recommend trying to use something safe and thoroughly researching any product before buying. I haven't used D Solv It myself so I don't actually know how it is, just heard about it as a last ditch option that won't fuck up wood finishes.

Just made a million edits to this post, just wanted to make sure you get the updated info.

TL;DR

Olive oil should work.

Wow, thanks so much for the response. Very informative. Since its only on the bottom Im not too worried about it I just dont want the speakers sticking to anything I place them on or leaving some kind of mark. My girls italian and loves to cook so olive oil never runs dry in our house haha. I will give this a go when I get home and post back with my results.

Thanks again!