Technics SL-B3 worth messing with?

Im trying to get started in vinyl on a bit of a budget. I got a Technics SL-B3 from my dad that they dont use anymore. Its been sitting for quite some time but I'm pretty sure hes had it since new. The belt is gone so that needs to be replaced. Also its been in a basement that's quite humid so I'm not sure what that does to the stylus..so lets just say it needs a new cartridge as well, or at least a stylus. Otherwise its in good shape. 

I have an Onkyo SR605 receiver and it doesn't have a phono preamp built in so I also need either a standalone preamp or just a different receiver that has a phono preamp built in. 

So I suppose first off is the SL-B3 worth messing with or would it be better just going out and getting say a Debut Carbon or something similar? Maybe a turntable with a built in phono preamp but I cant imagine a built in being as good as a standalone. 

Second the preamp. Do I go with a standalone unit and use my current receiver or try and find something with a phono stage built in used at a thrift shop or something like that. 

Thanks in advance

The Carbon will sound much better than the B3, but modern turntables with built in preamps (like the at-lp120) will not sound as good as the B3.

The B3 is by no means one of the better Technics tables, but it's no slouch either.  As long all the functions are working well and all it needs is a cart and a belt, I see no reason why you shouldn't be happy with that.  However, make sure the automatic functions are working, often times those will be the first things to go on a table like that.

However, make sure the automatic functions are working, often times those will be the first things to go on a table like that.

Especially if it's been stored in humid conditions, for the price of a belt though it's worth a try.

On the amp front I'd look for something half decent vintage with a built in phono stage to run it.

As a dipping a toe in the water exercise you can just add a cheap external phono stage to your Onkyo but a half decent vintage integrated amplifier or receiver will probably do a better job though.

I have an Onkyo SR705 around somewhere and from memory it has a built in phono stage but it's terrible.

Yeah I've checked and the 605 lacks the phono stage, no big loss Im sure because I would think in a modern AV receiver if a phono stage is included it would be merely an afterthought. 

As for now the Technics was the right price, free, so for the price of a belt and a new stylus that's up and running. The rest I would need regardless of the turntable. This will get me started to see even I want to keep going down this road. 

• 2 months later...