DIY Repair Thread

I did a search and didn't come up with any general thread for this...

Do any of you guys repair vintage equipment?

I have been going to a lot of estate auctions lately, and I'd like to start getting into repairing/tuning up whatever I can pick up that is worth while.

I have read a few basic tutorials and it seems like it will just be a lot of changing capacitors, cleaning pots, changing bulbs, and ensuring connections.

Do you have any advise for starters? Rookie mistakes or pitfalls to avoid?

That site is a nice resource.

What were some common issues you would run into with turntables, other than replacing belts?

I am going to be starting out by getting into my Pioneer SX-990 reciever. It works as is, but could definitely use some work.

Are there any specific tools I will end up needing? I have all the soldering tools, screwdrivers, wire strippers, a Fluke meter...

There aren't really any short cuts apart from research but after a while you build up a little data bank of common faults that you recognise straight away.

The web nowadays is superb for helping out but it can also be a hindrance with uneducated suggestions that send you down the wrong path, again this is where the experience thing comes in handy.