Budget AV Receiver Help

should work either way.

If I am following along correctly, you're condidering the Pm5004 which has 2 sets of Tape outputs which would work to feed an external amp with independent volume control.

I use Tape output to feed a headphone amp. Same concept.

Yes absolutely correct, the tape loop on most amps is a very under used resource nowadays

There is an A/B speaker selection on the PM5004,so I will hook up two sets of speakers.

The site I ordered from was out of the Carbon Debut Esprit (they called today). They swapped the Rega RP1 with the performance pack at the price of the Esprit. Fate flipped my coin back to me, Rega it is!

I'd say fate has done you a favour

Just received the Marantz PM5004 and Rega RP1 w/Performance Pack yesterday. The combo of the two is great and I am extremely happy with the sound. Spun vinyl with friends until wee hours of the morning and everyone agreed the sound was fantastic. You guys have been awesome in helping narrow this down. Thank you! Listening to the mono recording of Revolver as I post this and loving it.