RP1, Debut Carbon, or Planar 2

• 4 months later...

Life happened and my plans were put on the back burner...  anyhow I am back in the market for the mentioned TTs and just so happens the used Rega Planar is still available...  Ive also considered a upgraded Uturn

Would it still be a good choice? Price wise it is about the same as a new ProJect Carbon DC or RP1 ($500 asking price) 

Ive tried googling around, but everything I read is from early 2000s. A lot has changed in the TT world since then...  

The rega planar 2 was the entry level when it was released. If it has the rb250 arm, and it's a bit cheaper than the others. Buy it. That arm is better than the rb202 on the current rp1 and the debut carbon.

If the planar 2 has another arm, You'd have to revaluate

jase's advice still stands but $500 for a used Planar 2 seems very steep to me although that's based on UK prices. That said if it's the same one he has had it for sale since at least January so on balance it must be priced too high.

A Uturn with an Acrylic platter and it's unipivot arm might be an interesting alternative but not having heard one I can't comment sadly.

Given the choice between RP1 and DC Carbon I would always go Rega, I still think the RB202 is the better arm on the two and the Rega has the better upgrade parts availability.

For the Rega and Project tables in reality though next to nothing has changed in the TT world since the early 90's. the current lines are very similar to the products Rega and others produced back then, the Uturn though is a little different to the standard unspring table design because it uses a unipivot arm

Thank you for the reply. He has had the Rega for a long while, I was hopping he would except a lower off. I wanted to stay within a $400 budget. At his $500 asking it is getting close to a used RP3.

Are the upgrades on the Planar 2 outstanding in anyway? Or would a RP1 with performance pack be just as good?

To be fair all of the Rega's are pretty similar in design and construction with a lot of parts being interchangeable and it's all the standard stuff like Acrylic platters, nicely made sub platters, ruby main bearings etc etc. All will gain you something but it does depend on the rest of your system as to whether you will extract it all.

As to the RP1 performance pack I'm not sure what it gains you really apart from the better cart as with any Rega I'd be looking to put a thick Acrylic platter on it.

for me the value in that Rega Planar 2 is the RB250 so that still seems very expensive but then over here they are pretty common so supply and demand comes into play and if that's the right money for one then so be it, that sort of money over here though would put you a lot further up the British turntable food chain when buying used turntables.

Have a look on ebay UK for Rega upgrades as there are loads, you can take any stock Rega and replace everything to the point that you retain nothing from the original, I'm 

I had a rp1. It's a really good table.

I highly recommend it especially for someone new to vinyl. There is almost no set up time. Rega designs their tables to be plug and play which is awesome.

To be fair they've been making basically the same table since the 70's and the same arm since the 80's so you'd think they had it pretty much sorted by now,

That does show you how right their designs have always been from the start though which can only be a good thing.

The interesting fact people tend to forget with Rega is that they started out making parts for an Amstrad turntable the TP12 that bears a striking resemblance to the Rega Planet and then the Planar 2 and 3 that followed. Much in the same way that Linn started out as Castle engineering making parts for the original Ariston RD11 which is exactly the same as the Linn Sondek (LP12) that copied it.

We have to thank that nice Lord Sugar for a lot as at least the TP12 was an original design

$500 for a used P2 is steep. I got a used P3 (has an acrylic platter of course) with an RB300 and brand new Bias 2 cart he installed for me for $400. At that asking price I'd lean toward a new RP1 or keep your eye out for a used P3. 

Or see if this dealer will ship to the states; with the currency so favorable it's $348 for a demo/overstock RP1.  http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649203367-rega-rp1-demo-overstock/

$500 for a used P2 is steep. I got a used P3 (has an acrylic platter of course) with an RB300 and brand new Bias 2 cart he installed for me for $400. At that asking price I'd lean toward a new RP1 or keep your eye out for a used P3. 

I thought it sounded steep even with the fact it came from here originally, a used Rega Planer 2 in nice condition in the UK should be the equivalent of $150 to $250 so yes $500 is a bit eye watering. At that price it's almost worth getting a cheap flight to London for a weekend of drinking and vinyl buying.

I thought it sounded steep even with the fact it came from here originally, a used Rega Planer 2 in nice condition in the UK should be the equivalent of $150 to $250 so yes $500 is a bit eye watering. At that price it's almost worth getting a cheap flight to London for a weekend of drinking and vinyl buying.

Haha that sounds like an awesome plan, and those prices on P2's are damn tempting. Now it got me thinking that whenever I decide to make the big step up to an RP12 or something down the road that's the way to do it!

Haha that sounds like an awesome plan, and those prices on P2's are damn tempting. Now it got me thinking that whenever I decide to make the big step up to an RP12 or something down the road that's the way to do it!

Sadly nowhere near as common, over the years the P2's and P3's have been good entry level tables here in the same way as Projects are now over there so there are plenty for sale used, but get much higher up the range from there and there are not so many about, after the P3 traditionally people tend to go a different way over here, luckily over the years there have been so many high end tables made over here that the choice can be scary.

Sadly nowhere near as common, over the years the P2's and P3's have been good entry level tables here in the same way as Projects are now over there so there are plenty for sale used, but get much higher up the range from there and there are not so many about, after the P3 traditionally people tend to go a different way over here, luckily over the years there have been so many high end tables made over here that the choice can be scary.

Oh interesting. What are some of the other ways people go in that high end tier? I'm always interested; for whatever I seem to have a love of British sound and equipment. 

Oh interesting. What are some of the other ways people go in that high end tier? I'm always interested; for whatever I seem to have a love of British sound and equipment. 

The obvious choice is the Linn route although I'm not a fan, don't get me wrong it's a nice table but I never fell for the hype and think you can do better for less money. The others are anything Pink Triangle / Funk Firm, or Voyd / Audionote, or Systemdek / Audionote, or SME, or Source, or Michell, or Transcriptors, or Townhend, or Heybrook or if you want of to go Linn on a budget then an Ariston and I bet there are quite a few I've left out.

Over there I'd look for one of the higher end AR's and look at some upgrades for that.

My own choice is pretty much anything Pink Triangle, I've tried a lot on that list and always seem to come back to one of his designs.