Need Help Desperately

I have been buying and rebuying equipment trying to get a set up working and thought today would be the day, but I'm still not getting sound out of my system.

I am running a Technics SL-DD33 turntable, a Sherwood RX-4109 receiver, and two Boston Acoustics CR4 speakers. Both the receiver and speakers have banana plug inputs, so I bought two sets of Sewell Silverback cables to tie it all together. Everything seemed to be set up correctly, but like I said...no sound, not even noise out of the speakers. Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated!

Is there a headphone input? If so, plug in headphones and see if you hear anything.

Also, I don't know that model of receiver, but does it have a phono input?

There is, but unfortunately I don't have headphones with a studio jack to test it. Will ask a friend and try that!

Also, yes, it's a phono receiver so no need for a pre-amp.

Do you have anything other than your turntable hooked up to the receiver? CD player etc....  If not hook up the FM antenna and make sure that you also get no sound with that as well. Make sure you tune to a nice strong station. If you get no sound from other sources then its either the amp or speakers.  To check your speakers disconnect the speaker wire from the receiver. Take a alkaline battery and hold the negative wire to the negative side of the battery. Then take the positive wire and tap the positive side of the battery with it.  You should hear a little thump in the speaker when you touch the positive side. If that happens then your speakers are able to produce sound. That leaves the amp as the culprit. So first try other sources, then move on to test the speakers. 

One thing to watch with speaker cable is if it is multistrand, one of these strands could get loose from the terminal and make contact with the other for the same speaker causing a short.

If your amp has speaker protection for when you first turn it on does this turn itself off after a few seconds? (You'll hear a click from the amp when it does) A little thought in my mind says that if there is a short on the speaker cables, the speaker protection may not cut out to protect the amp from the short.