Formula 1

Great race. I'm just a glad to see that Ferrari have the race pace to stay with Mercedes. I want to see a real battle. I'm also glad they scrapped that new qualifying system as that was a total snooze fest. Hoping Bahrain will be a close race!

Yes superb race all the way down the field, so much to watch all the way through, after qualifying I was expecting a game of chess type race but I was very happy to be wrong, as soon as the lights went out you could see how good a start the Ferrari's had made and it was race on.

I think the 3 tyre compound choice really adds something as well although Ferrari really got that wrong, they seemed to fixate on the strategy they started with and couldn't deviate even though Lewis had already been on the mediums and was making them work.

Also it's good news that they've dropped the new qualifying format, It could have worked if there was a tyre compound that allowed them to keep running and get faster and faster but that's a totally different philosophy to the current tyres so couldn't work with what we have now

That accident... after seeing that car I was holy crapping.

I was absolutely blown away when I realized that the pile of metal that was behind the Haas was the McLaren. Absolutely insane to see Alonso crawl out of that unscathed. Goes to show how safe these cars really are.

Yes superb race all the way down the field, so much to watch all the way through, after qualifying I was expecting a game of chess type race but I was very happy to be wrong, as soon as the lights went out you could see how good a start the Ferrari's had made and it was race on.

I think the 3 tyre compound choice really adds something as well although Ferrari really got that wrong, they seemed to fixate on the strategy they started with and couldn't deviate even though Lewis had already been on the mediums and was making them work.

Also it's good news that they've dropped the new qualifying format, It could have worked if there was a tyre compound that allowed them to keep running and get faster and faster but that's a totally different philosophy to the current tyres so couldn't work with what we have now

I was really pleased with Ferrari's performance. Well, Seb's at least. It's a shame that Kimi had car troubles and their strategy didn't pan out as they would have hoped, but a P3 finish isn't a bad way to start off the season! Really surprised at how Lewis was able to milk the shit out of those mediums for as long as he did, too.

That new qualifying format was rubbish and I'm happy to hear they're dropping it as well. The biggest surprise of the race for me personally was Grosjean's performance. Absolutely incredible race from him and the Haas team. Making it all the way up to P6 after a less than stellar qualifying performance - especially in the debut race for this team - is absolutely mental. Really looking forward to seeing how Haas does the rest of the season.

On to Bahrain!

I was absolutely blown away when I realized that the pile of metal that was behind the Haas was the McLaren. Absolutely insane to see Alonso crawl out of that unscathed. Goes to show how safe these cars really are.

As Martin Brundle said in the commentary (A man who know's that corner and car destroying accidents all too well) You have to respect a man who has a proper accident. Seriously everyone on that grid has a lot to thank all those that went before them and especially Jackie Stewart when it comes to staying alive in a racing car.

I was really pleased with Ferrari's performance. Well, Seb's at least. It's a shame that Kimi had car troubles and their strategy didn't pan out as they would have hoped, but a P3 finish isn't a bad way to start off the season! Really surprised at how Lewis was able to milk the shit out of those mediums for as long as he did, too.

That new qualifying format was rubbish and I'm happy to hear they're dropping it as well. The biggest surprise of the race for me personally was Grosjean's performance. Absolutely incredible race from him and the Haas team. Making it all the way up to P6 after a less than stellar qualifying performance - especially in the debut race for this team - is absolutely mental. Really looking forward to seeing how Haas does the rest of the season.

On to Bahrain!

Racing is all about what if's but I think had there not been the red flag Kimi would have been trailing Seb to the end and there would have been a great four way fight at the end.

And yes all credit to Hass and Grosjean and as Grosjean said it was like a win for them but for all of Ferrari's bad luck Hass got a lot of good luck with having a completely free pitstop so I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

Yes on to Bahrain indeed!!

I totally agree. Without the red flag I really believe Ferrari would have won that race. They obviously screwed up the tires strategy and failed to adapt their SS, SS, then S tire strategy. Mercedes got the win but because they were the fastest but bc they adapted to he race.

My big takeaway from that is that Ferrari clearly has the race pace to beat Mercedes even on fast high speed circuits.

I also LOVED watching the Toro Rosso action. I love that we have an over aggressive 18 year old Verstappen who is so unfiltered. In a world of F1 where no one will really say anything anymore it's great to get honest and raw opinions. I can't wait to watch that battle between teammates all season.

Looks like Alonso got roughed up a bit more than we thought in that wreck in Australia. Broke rib and pneumothorax. He's very lucky, considering he experienced upwards of 46G in the crash. He'll be out in Bahrain, with McLaren reserve Stoffel Vandoorne driving for him. It's uncertain whether or not he'll have the all-clear to race in China either.