A Thorens thread

seems a bit steep for entry level.

Yes it does but then all of Thorens current product range seems very expensive for what you get to me.

So far everything I've seen since the TD166 has rather underwhelmed me because of either a lack of quality or a lack of value for money or both which is disappointing because Thorens has made some superb competitively priced turntables in the past.

That said I'd like a closer look at the arm

So far everything I've seen since the TD166 has rather underwhelmed me because of either a lack of quality or a lack of value for money or both which is disappointing because Thorens has made some superb competitively priced turntables in the past.

Tell me more about this... The 300-series (316-320) came after the 166 one. How does the 300 series compare to the previous ones? What is it's disadvantages?

Up until the 166 Thorens turntables were well engineered and well made from quality materials but after that things went downhill with what were effectively plastic copies of the 160/166 or just generally cheap plastic tables. To be fair a lot of companies stopped making turntables all together during this very dark period and Thorens had to do something to drop costs to stay in business but what they ended up doing was trading on a very good reputation and selling it out with an inferior product

Were not talking Crosley cheap Chinese plastic but the late 80's, 90's and possibly some early 2000's Thorens were just nowhere near as good as the 60's, 70's and early 80's products and with similar if not higher prices.

They now make some very nice turntables again but the prices do seem very high for what you get for the money and you can buy some very similar if not better products for less money.

There is also Lenco to consider who were a contemporary of Thorens, a very fine makes of turntables from the past who has had their named sadly degraded by using the Lenco name and logo on Chinese made turntables of the AT120 variety, there's nothing wrong with them as a table and they are quite nice entry level bits of kit but they are not Lenco's by any stretch of the imagination, at least Thorens go down that road.

I am being general but in general the product line in the late 80's and early 90's just wasn't as good as the earlier output.

They still made nice tables during that time but the general market push was for a lower grade product because people just didn't want to pay for products like the earlier ones.

The rise of the CD has a lot to answer for in that time period as far as turntable manufactures goes

SME arms were the daddy in the 60's and 70's and a good one now will cost a pretty penny, the one they are talking about will be a 3009 which is 9 inch but there was also a 3012 in the same series and a current 309 would cost you about $1900.

Google SME tonearm and loads will pop up but the 3000 series is a legend of an arm and very popular on 60's and 70's superdecks.