I bought a pair of A5+; do I need a headphone amp?

So, I've been on the fence for a while as to whether to get a headphone amp or new speakers. I came to the conclusion that it was time for new speakers. After I purchased these, I was doing some reading and became under the impression that these would double as a headphone amp. Today I realized that I cannot seem to (or, at least, do not know how to) listen through the headphones without the output coming through the speakers as well. Everything is connected through analog. Is there a way to shut off the speaker output without shutting off the headphone output? Or, do I need to buy a headphone amp?

All input (pun  ;) ) is appreciated!

I don't know the speakers, but for $150, you can get a Schiit Magni 2 Uber, which is a great headphone amp, and allows you to bypass it to go to speakers as necessary (it would be plugged in direct from the source, and then bypassed to go to speakers, or just used as headphone amp). Even if the A5s have a headphone amp, I'm guessing its quality won't be exceptionally high.

I don't know the speakers, but for $150, you can get a Schiit Magni 2 Uber, which is a great headphone amp, and allows you to bypass it to go to speakers as necessary (it would be plugged in direct from the source, and then bypassed to go to speakers, or just used as headphone amp). Even if the A5s have a headphone amp, I'm guessing its quality won't be exceptionally high.

Thank you. My original plan was to at least go with Schiit as I've read nothing but rave reviews. Now to bring myself to spend some more...

I strongly recommend to go with an o2+oDAC over schiit, but to answer your question, yeah you need one. Have you looked into audio interfaces in general or integrated amps so you don't have to deal with all that? I used these same speakers up till about a month ago, when I upgraded to some passive speakers with the onkyo a9050+ which doubles as a headphone amp, and it's been smooth sailing since. It's also like a reciever, so my tape deck, pc audio, turntable, and tv are a knob turn away (as opposed to fidgeting with wires and having loads of connections).