Noob question: where to start upgrading?

I inherited record player and sound system and am overwhelmed with where I should start to upgrade.

My current set up is a AT pl50, tc 750 preamp, connected to a DVD player with Philips hts 32 5.1 speakers. I understand a sound system is only as good as its weakest point so is it worth upgrading a piece at a time? Is the pre-amp worth keeping and if so should I just look at turntables without an existing preamp? I am not sure how often the tt was used so would getting a new cartridge make sense or should I just get a new table?

For reference I'm listening in a medium sized bedroom and am leaning towards starting with new speakers.

keep the TC750 for now and have a good read of the beginners section, the rest sell on and put the money toward something better.

There are a lot of pages with a lot of repetition questions wise but there is also a lot of good knowledge and advice in there and it will answer a lot if not all of the questions you have plus some of the ones you are going to think up once you've had a bit of a read.

• 2 weeks later...