Question about building a set-up / amp/pre-amp etc

Hey friends... long time lurker here... you guys are great!

I'm an avid LP collector and enthusiast... especially anything Hawkwind. I'm not an educated Audiophile... 

For the past several years I have been quite happy with my B+O RX 2 and minty 1971 HK 330c with some small paradigm speakers... it provided a warm and robust sound for my rather small study. I haven't thought much about Audio Equipment over the past several years... because these components pleased me.

Well, my HK died... and I went out into the market and looked for a "sort of" vintage amp to replace it.

I ended up finding this great minty NAD 1600 pre-amp... so I grabbed it thinking I would find a nice NAD Power Envelope or something... but I can't seem to find a good one... or one at at reasonable price. Of course, now I still need an AMP.

My Budget is quite small for the amp at the moment - Between $100-$200... 

2 questions...

One, does anything come to mind for what you might pair with it?

and two...

If I hooked this pre-amp up to a rather new and inexpensive Dennon or Onkyo or Sony Amp from a box store... would the pre-amp help create a richer warmer tone to my music - or would it defeat the purpose of owning older components. Should I wait it out until something vintage comes my way?

Thanks, G

The first manufacturer that springs to mind as a good match for your NAD is Rotel, but also AMC which might be easier to find in the US

As a note though the pre amp has more effect on shaping the sound than the power stage but it does of course still have an effect and a poor power amp will severely restrict your pre amp

My suggestion is to sell the NAD 1600 and use that money plus your budget for the power amp and buy a new decent integrated like a Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 (assuming you have sensitive enough speakers) or a used Marantz PM5005 or something.  After using a vintage stereo for years and just ditching it about a year ago for something modern, vintage stereos are a headache.