Best place to find a used Technics 1200?

The 1200 has the potential to be a great audiophile table, but needs a lot done to it to achieve that level. It's in no way a bad table stock, and can be customized however you want. The Debut is also a good entry level table, and is belt drive instead of direct drive. It's really all up to what you like best, what you want to do with the table and if you can find a 1200 that is not beat to death in your budget.

what are

Sure, I have a budget of about $400. From what I have read, it seems the 1200 is the better table. A new debut carbon seems easier to deal with though. What do you think about the two? Nice profile pic by the way. Samhain is one of my favorite bands.

Better in what terms?

There are pro's and cons to both but purely from a sound quality point of view I would say the project is the better table.

The 1200 is a good table but audio wise it's not a $400 table. The high value of a 1200 is down to a lot of things but mostly legend and folklore as it is the industry standard when it comes to DJ tables but that doesn't make it better than quite a few cheaper tables of similar age from a purely audio point of view.

It depends what you want from your turntable and what you are playing through as to whether you will get the best out of it.

If your reasons for buying are looks and ease of use then buy the 1200 but if it's audio quality then buy the Project.

There are other options of course and if the Technics style and ease of use appeals then there are other Technics SL turntables that didn't get the DJ treatment that are just as good if you don't need pitch adjust and the other DJ functions but make a lot less money than an SL12XX,

Although some do sell them high and get similar prices you can still pick up a SL13XX, SL14XX, SL15XX, SL16XX, SL17XX or SL18XX for a sensible price and the usual culprits like Craigslist and ebay are probably your best bet.

If you can pick one up for a sensible price it leaves you a lot more money to spend on a decent cartridge to put in it.