Need help with setup issue.

I posted this to r/vinyl but you guys might have some better input. I've been collecting for about 10 years, but just recently bought a newer setup. I have a AT LP120 that i'm running through a Technics SA-80 receiver and speakers. I bought the receiver and speakers at a garage sale for $20, and are in near perfect condition, so I couldn't pass it up. Upon first setup, it sounded really good. The only issue was it seemed as though the right speaker didn't kick in until the volume hit about 4, which was fine. Anytime I would mess with the volume knob, there was some cutting out on the speakers. Today I throw on a record and notice there is no sound coming from the right speaker. At first I assume it's just the wire, so I mess with that and nothing. I decided to switch around the RCA cables in the phono input, and bam....both speaker are working but the right speaker has noticeably more bass than the left. I throw on another record and now the left speaker isn't working. So I switch around the RCA cables again, and now the right speaker isn't working. While messing with the balance knob, I can tell there is a faint sound coming from the speaker.

I tried using the AUX input but had the same problem. Obviously the speakers aren't the problem. I feel like I may be just missing something really obvious. Would I be better off just scraping the receiver for a good amplifier?

Update:

I just turned everything back on and threw a record on, and everything worked fine. Both speakers sounded good. But as soon as i touched the volume knob the right speaker cut out. I switched to the FM radio and both speakers work great. Back to PHONO and the right speaker doesn't work no matter how much I mess with the volume knob. I don't see why the speakers would work in FM but not PHONO.

Thank you.

Your amp needs servicing. Could be bad board connections, pots that need cleaning, or any number of issues. Either way you aren't going to be able to fix it yourself unless you know how to take it apart and service it.

It will be that one.

And the outcome depends on your technical proficiency which as you’re asking the question I'm guessing is not quite high enough to rectify it yourself.

Like all technical things it's an easy job if you have the skills and knowhow, a disaster strewn path and the risk of it not working again if you don't

Don't scrap the receiver though, it's a perfectly good unit and if it only cost you $20 it deserves a few more for a service