Oh yes..you guessed it..another TT upgrade advice thread!

Good Saturday morning to you!

I've decided it's time to upgrade my very lovely Beogram 1700 TT. It's working great and still sounds excellent, the stylus and cartridge are great considering it's an ageing MMC20S. 

I've been looking at the Rega RP3 and the Project Debut Carbon ES. I know these are rated highly and always garner support for each side. I just wanted some further input from users and potentially some suggestions for things I've missed/worth considering. 

Cheers

No contest in my head

The upgrade path with the Rega means it always wins in my book and to my ears it's the better sounding of the two anyway.

I've posted the bewildering array of links before so you should find them with the search but basically you can upgrade everything on the Rega to the point that there is nothing of the original left except the power switch and you can replace that too if you fancy. There is nowhere near the amount of upgrades available for the Project.

Also if you decide after a while with the Rega you fancy something completely different you can take the arm with you as there's a Rega armboard available for pretty much every decent turntable made which you can't do so with the Project.

And lastly the RP3 design hasn't fundamentally changed since the early 70's and the Project really is just a variation on the same basic design that Rega embarked on all those years ago and haven't felt the need to change significantly in 40 plus years

The only thing I would say is buy a used RP3/Planer 3 and save yourself some money to put towards those upgrades.

Edit

Especially as you're in the UK then a used Planer 3 in good condition should be around £150 to £200 but as low as £100 if you do it right. You can pay more if you want but you don't need to

Edit 2

And if your budget is new Project money then used there is a whole lot more choice here in the UK

No contest in my head

The upgrade path with the Rega means it always wins in my book and to my ears it's the better sounding of the two anyway.

I've posted the bewildering array of links before so you should find them with the search but basically you can upgrade everything on the Rega to the point that there is nothing of the original left except the power switch and you can replace that too if you fancy. There is nowhere near the amount of upgrades available for the Project.

Also if you decide after a while with the Rega you fancy something completely different you can take the arm with you as there's a Rega armboard available for pretty much every decent turntable made which you can't do so with the Project.

And lastly the RP3 design hasn't fundamentally changed since the early 70's and the Project really is just a variation on the same basic design that Rega embarked on all those years ago and haven't felt the need to change significantly in 40 plus years

The only thing I would say is buy a used RP3/Planer 3 and save yourself some money to put towards those upgrades.

Edit

Especially as you're in the UK then a used Planer 3 in good condition should be around £150 to £200 but as low as £100 if you do it right. You can pay more if you want but you don't need to

Edit 2

And if your budget is new Project money then used there is a whole lot more choice here in the UK

Thanks for all this allenh. My budget can do a new RP3 so I'm happy to save some on a used!

I tried searching before I posted, sadly the function doesn't seem to work for me anymore - just refreshes the page. 

Would you say the RP3 over anything else for that money (used to new)? I've done a heap of research and the Rega just seems to smash it.

Also any tips on good used places to go or just the usual?

Many thanks for your help.

Oh no the money for a New RP3 can buy you a whole lot more turntable used.

For that money you're into Pink Triangle territory so your search stops there or possibly Funk Firm but if you insist on buying something inferior then you're into LP12, Ariston RD11 or RD80, Heybrook, Walker, Systemdek, Decent Thorens, Michell, Transcriptors, Voyd, Audionote, Royd, AR and a host of others territory.

You’re in the UK and we have made some of the best turntables in the world if not the best and here you can get them for sensible money if you search

Edit

As to the Rega upgrades just search Rega on ebay and they'll come up

I always love allenh's use of opinion as fact. So classic hi-fi. ;-)

In short--the Linn LP12 is NOT inferior. But we all have our opinions!

Linn has a reputation for being overpriced whereas the Funk Firm tables have a reputation for being extremely good for the price (particularly in the UK).

I always love allenh's use of opinion as fact. So classic hi-fi. ;-)

In short--the Linn LP12 is NOT inferior. But we all have our opinions!

Hifi is mostly opinion and yes I was being more than a little tongue in cheek. The LP12 should be ideal for me as it's a 3 point suspended turntable and a very nicely made on but I just can't get past all the marketing, that and the HiFi press ramming it down my throat. I've got nothing against the LP12 as a piece of engineering but always feel you can equal it or do better for less money a little too easily here in the UK

To many the LP12 is the best thing since sliced bread, to me it's a very nice table but not as nice as a PT1 and way way too expensive for what it is, it's more of a marketing triumph than a sonic one, and yes I have owned more than a few of them in various states of upgrade but sadly look at them purely as a pile of money rather than a turntable so they don't hang around here very long when I get one.

Linn has a reputation for being overpriced whereas the Funk Firm tables have a reputation for being extremely good for the price (particularly in the UK).

Basically yes that's pretty much it for me but to each their own, I also prefer the sound produced by the Funk and PT tables, to my ears there is something Arthur does that Ivor can never match.