Turntable Troubles, HELP

Hello friends, today I bought a Rotel RP-2300 turntable from a friend. I brought it home and went to hook it up to see that my stereo doesn't have a phono input. I plugged the table into the DVD input and it still plays, but very quietly.

What are my options here? Do I need a new receiver? Can I purchase a phono preamp? Help me out.

So I would buy the preamp, but how does it work? I plug the two plugs from the table into the phono in, but what do I connect to the Out plugs?

You'd run one set of RCA cables from your turntable to the preamp, then would need another set to run from the preamp output to the dvd input, or whatever input you're using. Any decent preamp will be properly labeled too, so as long as you're paying a little bit of attention, it should be an easy process.

You'd run one set of RCA cables from your turntable to the preamp, then would need another set to run from the preamp output to the dvd input, or whatever input you're using. Any decent preamp will be properly labeled too, so as long as you're paying a little bit of attention, it should be an easy process.

Awesome thanks for the help. Does it matter that my speakers run cable wire into the receiver and not RCA? Sorry for the noob questions btw

Awesome thanks for the help. Does it matter that my speakers run cable wire into the receiver and not RCA? Sorry for the noob questions btw

Shouldn't matter in the least. They're two totally different connections, so they don't need to have the same endpiece. My receiver runs straight copper wire with screw downs for the speakers, but has a bundle of different RCA inputs for source connections.