Record stores in Chicago

reckless sucks and is picked over and overrated in my opinion.

plus their used lp prices are pretty outrageous. i usually stop in there anyway, just to check it out, but the last couple times ive been there, i have only walked out with 2 records.

some other places to check out

Metal Haven (its over by one of the reckless records, so you might as well).

Mr. Peabodys. (old school hip hop)

Record Dugout

Deadwax

Lauries Planet Of Sound

Daves Records

Hard Boiled Records

Rock Records

Evil Clown

there are 100 other record stores in the chicago area. so give them a chance too. your chances of scoring some used bin golden find are higher cause most hipsters just hit up reckless and leave

EDIT: also, keep in mind that some of these its been years since ive been to some of these. i never can go to ALL the stores there, so depending where i am in the area, is what stores i go to, so its been 5+ years since i have been to a couple of these. they may not even exist, and there are probably new ones that have popped up. just a few names to get started at least.

Reckless. It's not picked over, it just has a lot of foot traffic. But it also has the most people selling their collections to them. And they put out new "used" records all day long. So what's there in the morning could be different from the afternoon.

As for their prices, it's hit or miss. I've found obscenely obscure records for dirt cheap, while a still in print copy of something is labeled as an original press for too much money.

Dave's is also good. Most of the other ones just deal in new shit (which you can usually just mailorder the color instead), or the really common used items that are worth no more than $0.25 but they want $7.99