Amp(?) buzz - nothing works to rid me of it!

So, I'm at the wits and knowledge end so have come grovelling for advice!

My RP3 running through a Cambridge Audio 551P pre-amp to a Cambridge Audio azur 351a amp has developed a buzz. A frustrating buzz.

I've done all the usual bits of checking connections, changing plugs around, moving equipment but very little seems to have an affect. The one key this is that it happens on when the preamp is on and even if I unplug the RP3 completely. 

What are the remedies that people have had success with. 

Cheers in advance!

I know you say you've done all the plug changing around etc. And it does sound like it the 551 somewhere but:

Does it do it with other sources?

Does it do it if you plug the 551 into another input?

Have you got a ground wire between the 551 and the 351?

Edited by allenh

28 minutes ago, allenh said:

I know you say you've done all the plug changing around etc. And it does sound like it the 551 somewhere but:

Does it do it with other sources?

Does it do it if you plug the 551 into another input?

Have you got a ground wire between the 551 and the 351?

Thanks @allenh

Doesn't buzz with other sources.

Still buzzes with another input.

No grounding between the 551 and 351 which I fear may be the issue! Not sure the best way to go about solving this though...

This has happened to me on multiple amps and the results were having it plugged into an outlet on a dimmer switch, and a blown capacitor on an old pioneer. Blown capacitor is a bummer but only had two solder points and cost about $7 and a few hours of research. Hope you figure it out, that buzz can be a pain!

1 minute ago, kjkenney said:

This has happened to me on multiple amps and the results were having it plugged into an outlet on a dimmer switch, and a blown capacitor on an old pioneer. Blown capacitor is a bummer but only had two solder points and cost about $7 and a few hours of research. Hope you figure it out, that buzz can be a pain!

The dimmer switch thing tends not to be a problem here in th UK because the mains and lighting are on separate circuits

1 minute ago, allenh said:

The dimmer switch thing tends not to be a problem here in th UK because the mains and lighting are on separate circuits

That is some simple genius. I'm a service guy for outdoor plumbing and electric and it blows me away that certain things are not taken into consideration, or ignored, with construction out here. 

18 minutes ago, allenh said:

Well you shouldn't need a ground wire between the 551 and the 351 but I would try it anyway.

It does sound like the 551 is your problem or its power supply but the only way you can prove that is to have another set to substitute it with

Yeah, no one known to utilise a change! I'll have another little play and see how I get on. Thanks for the help @allenh and @kjkenney