What's a good upgrade from an LP120

I recently purchased an LP120. I had to exchange it because the anti skate didn't work.

The anti skate didn't work on the new one either and upon reading reviews and forum posts I realized this is a common issue.
Im going to return it and purchase a different one.

I'm wondering what are some good upgrades.
I recently starting listening to LP's but I am extremely unhappy with the LP120, I'm looking at the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit that comes with an Ortofon 2M red cartridge, would that be a good upgrade? I'm looking to spend anywhere from $300 - $600.

Thanks!

I just switched over from a 120 to a debut carbon esprit and it is a very nice upgrade. Keep in mind though, the turntable is 600 alone and then you still need a pre-amP.

Although, if you just started listening to records, I can't imagine the 120 being that bad. I'd make sure you are setting it up right. I got a good few years out of mine and it sounded pretty good overall without any issues.

Edited by Rickylovas

58 minutes ago, Rickylovas said:

I just switched over from a 120 to a debut carbon esprit and it is a very nice upgrade. Keep in mind though, the turntable is 600 alone and then you still need a pre-amP.

Although, if you just started listening to records, I can't imagine the 120 being that bad. I'd make sure you are setting it up right. I got a good few years out of mine and it sounded pretty good overall without any issues.

Might be worth looking into something like a Uturn Orbit, or a "lower" tier ProJect table, too. The Debut Carbon I have retails for $399, and I got a good deal on a display model. An Orbit with a built-in phono stage would run you like $250-ish, a much easier entry than $600

On 12/25/2016 at 8:41 PM, thebilljim said:

Might be worth looking into something like a Uturn Orbit, or a "lower" tier ProJect table, too. The Debut Carbon I have retails for $399, and I got a good deal on a display model. An Orbit with a built-in phono stage would run you like $250-ish, a much easier entry than $600

I didn't read any of this until now. I just purchased a black Debut Carbon from the turntable lab. Why do some have issues with humming, RCA cables or ground?

Maybe you guys can help me with speakers, I was thinking about getting Klipsch R-15PM's because it has a built in phono preamp and they're powered. Maybe go with that little setup for a while and then maybe later on upgrade to a Marantz receiver with some B&W 686's and a phono preamp, which I'm still having a tough time with the brands. Whats a good entry level preamp, Rolls VP29, or is there something out there that's better bang for the buck?

Bellari VP130 is out of my budget right now.

I'm trying to save up for when I go see Snarky Puppy, Banda Magda, Esperanza Spalding and Bill Laurence in February. Snarky Puppy said all of their work will be on vinyl, I asked. :)

Edited by JorgeRodriguez689