Sign in to follow this  
RedRabbit

Turntable Upgrade Advice

Hi Folks,

Looking for some suggestions on upgrading my turntable. Currently running a heavily modified Pro-Ject Debut III (totally rewired, upgraded motor bearings, Ortofon 2M Blue, acrylic platter) through a McIntosh C26 preamp to Yamaha HS80Ms that double as my studio monitors. The Pro-Ject has a been a good table for the past ten years I've had it, but it's reached the limits of mods before it just makes sense to take it a step up and then slowly upgrade.

Been thinking about moving towards a refurbished Thorens TD-160 or going the totally opposite way with a used Rega P5 or higher. Then if I really want to blow the budget, go with a new clearaudio Concept.  Any suggestions either way on these tables or something else that might be under my radar would be appreciated. Looking to spend around $1k used hopefully.

Thanks!

As you're in the US if going used I'd be looking at home grown i.e a Sota (preferably a sapphire) or a better AR or VPI, or if not a better Japanese table so upper end Micro Seiki or Luxman or possibly the Clearaudio that's badged as a Marantz. If you could up the budget a bit you could go with a new Funk Firm Little Pink Thing. They are fragile and quite rare in the US but sound sublime.

I like my Marantz TT15-S1 (rebadged Clearaudio Emotion with some upgrades)

I got mine for $1000 from MusicDirect as a Marantz B-Stock.  (Mine had some marks on the underside of the acrylic platter).

If you search, there are one or two older threads that discuss options in the $1k range.