so.. Jay Reatard 7" matador thoughts?

Guest kevinb

Guest kevinb

Im suprised Matador hasent atleast put up some kind of appology or explanation, for the server being twice as worse as yesterday for pre-orders when it was even said to be fixed & could handle the traffic...

im not loosing sleep over it or anything, but it was kind of shitty

that i got to the final point of my checkout(twice mind you) submiting my credit card info & it shits out, the 7" still remained in my basket till the site started running normal again, and then it said it was sold out,but it was still in my basket. come on now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kevinb
Can't you just wait until the album with all the music from these 7"s come out?
Yes i can, but it was a cool idea, to be a able to collect all the singles, something differant you know? i'd say Matador has fucked that up, & made it virtualy impossible with the way they handle the PO's

Can't you just wait until the album with all the music from these 7"s come out?
Yes i can, but it was a cool idea, to be a able to collect all the singles, something differant you know? i'd say Matador has fucked that up, & made it virtualy impossible with the way they handle the PO's

"virtually impossible"

???

Well thats only true if you don't get it ordered in time before it sells out. Lets face it, it's limited, there is only a finite number of these things and they are selling out. So it's not impossible at all to buy one, its just hard to get one before everyone else trying to get one.

First come, first serve. How else would they handle it? Maybe a lottery?

"virtually impossible"

???

Well thats only true if you don't get it ordered in time before it sells out. Lets face it, it's limited, there is only a finite number of these things and they are selling out. So it's not impossible at all to buy one, its just hard to get one before everyone else trying to get one.

First come, first serve. How else would they handle it? Maybe a lottery?

I don't think people are pissed that it's limited. People are pissed at the process. The do-over was just as bad, if not worse, than the first go around. If their site could handle the traffic and it sold out fast, that's fine. Since it couldn't, and it took 30 minutes to realize you weren't getting one, despite logging onto the site an hour early, that's shitty.

From Matador:

As many of you are aware, the preorder process for Jay Reatard 7" #4 turned into a nightmare for you and for us. First, on Monday, the preorder accidentally went live at 1:30 PM, 90 minutes earlier than was announced. Early orders poured in, and since this seemed unfair to those who were waiting until 3:00 PM to order, we cancelled those orders and started the process again at 3. However, due to a rule at our credit-card processing company that we had never had reason to encounter before, anyone who ordered for a second time on the same card got a duplicate/fraud message, and were not allowed to complete the order. In addition, the rush of orders at 3 was so intense that the server slowed down to a crawl, and many people were not able to complete their orders at all.

In light of all this we decided to redo the order at 3 PM on Tuesday. We cancelled all orders for a second time, got with our credit card processing company to shorten the timeout period for duplicate orders, and got with our ISP to prepare for an onslaught of traffic at 3.

However we were not prepared for the amount of traffic we did get yesterday - over 10,000 unique visitors at 3 PM, and the server once again slowed to a crawl or worse, leaving many people out in the cold, disgusted, and fed up with Matador - understandably. (For comparison's sake, the entire Matador website usually gets 8,000 unique visitors per day.) We're still not clear whether the publicity resulting from the previous two preorders led to the increase in visitors, or whether this was some kind of denial of service attack from a disgruntled customer.

In any event, we have collated orders from everyone who ordered successfully the first OR second time with those who ordered successfully the third time, and we are filling orders for everyone who got a successful order confirmation from us, whether it was cancelled or not.

We'd lke to offer apologies for all the drama and hassle, but we've been apologizing non-stop and that's not what you guys want - you want an efficient order process, and that's what we pledge to offer in the future. It's going to be even harder to buy singles #5 and #6 - that's the whole point of this exercise after all - but it won't be due to technical problems. We'll have security, traffic, credit card processing and everything else sorted out and tested well in advance of the remaining 7" preorders, and it will work the way it's supposed to. I think that's all we can say at this time.

Matador Records

or maybe send less to the distros/stores?

Thats what I'm assuming. They probably have cancelled all the distro/store orders. They should have done this from the very beginning as I am assuming they wont have any left to distribute. It would have been less loss for their distribution if they didnt repeat the preorder process the third time and just left it at early orders and the first 3 oclock order.