NFL Discussion

1. In this instance the stop sign is already on the road (its the no hitting to the helmet rule). Not everyone plays by the rules, that is not the fault of the rule maker.

2. Many times players lie to the medical staff to get back on the field. I'm not that familiar with the RGIII situation so I don't know what advice the staff gave him that you are saying put him in danger.

3. The players have every right to ask for more safety or rule changes, but if they choose to play the game with the current rules and regulations then they accept the risks associated.

4. I think what Seau did will change the career choice of very few if any people. People still want to be rich, play music, write novels, act in the movies even though some of the most famous people to do those things have killed themselves.

I don't want anyone to get hurt and if the game can be made safer while still being profitable the NFL should go for it. At some point they might change the game enough that I don't want to support it but its not my wallet or life on the line.

Are you trolling or just really dumb?

what exactly was not valid about any of the points he made? other than he shot holes through your entire argument and disagreed with some of your opinions.

Ill just paste* my original reply

1. The stop sign reference is to letting a player back on the field after showing head trauma symptoms. Not helmet to helmet. What the new app is suppose to help with.

2. One of the biggest post season controversy was the redskins coach and medical staffs little "miscommunication" of letting their Hurt star player out on the field. Rg3 didn't play against his wishes but was never warned of any danger.

Yes some players lie to get back on the field, a few, not all, and maybe the cloudy decision was made due to a hit to the head. Or what If you know you're hurt but coach and staff THINKS you're fine, you look like a quitter saying no. Nfl is all about work ethics which can even put your career on the line. The point is you have to protect your players, not your record.

3. Sadly it took a few players to commit suicide for there to be any in depth serious studies on the subject and in light of the findings The reason this app and attempts at fixing the rules has come up. They don't accept it and its why its changing yet to you it's a "ridiculous complaint"

4. Players have retired due to what's happened to junior. What do writers and musicians have to do with this? They don't die bc of head trauma, it's usually for drug abuse. Hell I just read AP, one of the best rbs in history doesn't want his kid to play ball bc of what he knows NOW. Numerous players have admitted if they knew what we know now they would have never continued playing after injury.

1. This analogy needs to be taken out back like a 30 year old RB and put down. I started it, I apologize.

2. I don't think there was any misunderstanding here. Everyone knew he was hurt but thought he was needed to give them a chance to win. He knew he was hurt but continued to play. If you care about your public perception more than your long term health and your are a grown man I again do not feel sympathy for you.

3. Making the game safer is a great thing. Saying you had no idea the game was dangerous does not fly with me. 

4. What players have retired directly because of his death? People blame fame and wealth on people killing themselves too. I would still like to be rich and famous and I bet a lot of people here feel the same. Players saying they would have quit after the fact does not mean much to me, saying it and doing it are very different.

when exactly did you want to the NFL do something about the brain injuries? they have to know there is a problem before they can address the problem. these injuries did not come to light until recently. things that happened in the 80s are just now coming to light. it's not the NFL's fault medical science knows very little about how our brain works. and some of the brain injuries leading to suicide can only be diagnosed postmortem. so unfortunately and as gruesome as it sounds, there is no way to know there is a problem until someone commits suicide.

there would be an issue here if the NFL was not doing anything safety wise and ignoring it. but they are addressing it. and they look into new safety measures after every season. obviously it's not good to get hit in the head. we've always known that much. but do you want football to not exist because there is the potential to get hit in the head. you can get hit in the head walking down the street. 

as for the retiring because of what happened to Seau there are other factors to consider. like age. would a player who played 12 seasons and is 35 who retired because of the injury risk and/or directly as a result of Seau still make the decision to retire if he was 25 and only played 2 seasons? if Adrian Peterson doesnt want his kids to play football i don't see him filing his retirement papers. all these players who are second guessing playing football are guess what, still playing football.

and Adrian Peterson is known as AD, not AP.

4. Players have retired due to what's happened to junior. What do writers and musicians have to do with this? They don't die bc of head trauma, it's usually for drug abuse. Hell I just read AP, one of the best rbs in history doesn't want his kid to play ball bc of what he knows NOW. Numerous players have admitted if they knew what we know now they would have never continued playing after injury.

quoting that AP bit for posterity. but i'm sure you'll brush that off as you were just abbreviating his name.

Fine you guys win, ill agree with his original statements that

nfl players need to Protect themselves and not expect for someone else to do it BUT its ridiculous for these nfl players after signing contracts to do so by asking for protection over concussions bc they knew of the dangers of football all their lives even tho the data brought forth is new and couldn't have been predicted prior.

Makes total sense to me, good debate.

Fine you guys win, ill agree with his original statements 

YES! YES! YES!

People much smarter than us don't have all the answers to these questions and I'm sure no one here is completely right or wrong. Good talk

I like baseball but I don't care about it as much as hockey or football. I think I got burned out playing the game a hundred times a year from age 5-22

The problem, to me at least, isn't in the NFL because, as mentioned earlier, they get reimbursed very well for the health risks they take. The main problem is in high school and college ball where kids play balls out for the chance to get into the NFL and the only possible reimbursement they get is a subsidized college education, and most don't even get that.

I realize this is reducto absurdum or whatever (taking an argument well beyond its logical endpoint to make a point) but if two guys agreed to go into a ring and fight to the death for a million dollars, would you be fine with it? Would you say there is no problem cause they knew what they were agreeing to?

I get what you're saying, but the point of football isn't to hurt your opposition, but to score points. Just like the point of being a police officer is to protect and serve the public, not shoot people / get shot at. Unfortunately, both professions have serious risks associated with them. And these risks have been articulated to these people before they accept the job.