Help me trouble shoot

Appreciate any thoughts you all have.

So I have two set ups: one in my office (vintage Sony table, harman/kardon receiver + random table speakers), and a primary table downstairs (1st generation uTurn with an external pre-amp). I've been listening to vinyl for quite a while and am fairly adept at setting up and maintaining my gear.

But for the life of me I can't figure out the upstairs set up. One of the speakers jumps in and out every time I play a record. To try and chase down the source of the issue:

- I've switched out the speaker wire with new top of the line stuff.

-I've switched out the speakers.

- I've switched the ports.

Nothing works. I brought the receiver back to the place I bought it, and asked him to repair it. He said nothing was wrong with it, put a record on in front of me and played it loud no issue. He wasn't using my speakers or table.

Is there something I'm not thinking of that could be causing this? Is it likely that my receiver just has a gremlin in it that doesn't pop up when it's in the shop? Is there something on the table that could be fucking this up? I sort of want to trash all the equipment and start fresh with another new uTurn table and speakers, but that seems wasteful.

12 hours ago, jesse said:

Appreciate any thoughts you all have.

So I have two set ups: one in my office (vintage Sony table, harman/kardon receiver + random table speakers), and a primary table downstairs (1st generation uTurn with an external pre-amp). I've been listening to vinyl for quite a while and am fairly adept at setting up and maintaining my gear.

But for the life of me I can't figure out the upstairs set up. One of the speakers jumps in and out every time I play a record. To try and chase down the source of the issue:

- I've switched out the speaker wire with new top of the line stuff.

-I've switched out the speakers.

- I've switched the ports.

Nothing works. I brought the receiver back to the place I bought it, and asked him to repair it. He said nothing was wrong with it, put a record on in front of me and played it loud no issue. He wasn't using my speakers or table.

Is there something I'm not thinking of that could be causing this? Is it likely that my receiver just has a gremlin in it that doesn't pop up when it's in the shop? Is there something on the table that could be fucking this up? I sort of want to trash all the equipment and start fresh with another new uTurn table and speakers, but that seems wasteful.

If receiver is working fine on a different setup then you should try to setup everything again and make sure, the signals are not getting amplified twice. 

On 1/19/2024 at 5:35 PM, jesse said:

THanks - what do you mean by amplified twice?

I mean the phono signals shouldn't be amplified twice. For eg: your turntable have in-built phono preamp which is engaged and then you are connecting the output to phono input of receiver. In this case, the phono signals are amplified twice i.e. first by in-built preamp and second time by the receiver.