anyone using a wireless N router?

Internet will have no affect. However, if you're doing Time Capsule over a wireless I would imagine N would be a giant leap. I have an N router but haven't used the N protocol, its all be G. No bugs to this point from what I've noticed.

That all aside you can get a portable hard drive and a wireless N router for about $100 less than a Time Capsule. Check out: http://eshop.macsales.com/ They have some great deals on hard drives both portable and internal.

I don't do a lot of data transfer. I just think it would be nice to have the ability to do wireless back ups, and be able to connect all my other external drives to the time capsule (via USB hub) and get all the clutter away from my computer desk.

Fair enough, just wanted to throw out the obligatory information.

let me ask this though. Is there is cheaper alternative that would allow me to connect my external hard drives to my current router (linksys G) that would allow me to access it from my computer (obviously) as well as stream media files to my xbox? I know I'd be giving up the wireless N, but I'd consider this if the price was right.

Or NAS for short. You can put one together if you're of the ilk to do so on the cheap.

This is actually really easy, so if you're looking on the cheap Google a few things.

For that matter, I bet you can setup a nice little router too if you're up on virtualization. Linux-based routers are quite easy to configure.

This is actually really easy, so if you're looking on the cheap Google a few things.

For that matter, I bet you can setup a nice little router too if you're up on virtualization. Linux-based routers are quite easy to configure.

That reminds me, I need to setup my spare router with DD-WRT.

Perhaps a project I'll work on during the debate...

That reminds me, I need to setup my spare router with DD-WRT.

Perhaps a project I'll work on during the debate...

I just put it on a wrt54g v6 that was giving me problem with the official firmware. It is a pain in the ass to install on v5 and up, but I think it fixed an otherwise dud or dying router.

Unfortunately I think I have a v5, which is why I've been so lazy about it.

It's a pain, but it does not take as long as I thought it would. It only took about 15 minutes to install all the firmware killers and stuff to tftp it over. It is worth it though, nice little piece of firmware compared to the official stuff.