Falcon -Unicornography LP at Interpunk

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

toby is a seriously great dude, he was a huge help when we were putting together a benefit comp a couple years ago.

and dude if toby flipped out on you dudes for passing out the music he paid to release for free.. hes got every right to be pissed. you look at it a little differently when you actually run an indie label and have to scrape by as it is, without kids passing the shit around for free.

like i said, i prefer labels like go kart and bands like BTMI! and Defiance where they want you to download their stuff. i've found a ton of bands through torrents i never would have listened to before. i booked Bullets to Broadway after downloading them, and they were one of the bands toby was bitching about. i know a lot of people in a lot of bands on decent sized labels are on kray and oink and would torrent their own stuff. if the band is fine with it, that's all i care about. also, i don't think toby realises that there are a ton of people on kray who try before they buy. i have about 100 LP's and 1000's of cds here. i'd say a good 50% of that i downloaded before i bought.

if the band is fine with it, that's all i care about.

But in 99% of the cases, the band aren't the ones who paid to have the album recorded/mixed/mastered/pressed/distributed/publicized/marketed. That almost always comes from the label's pockets. Why should the band get to dictate that their product should be free? Furthermore, why do you not care about the people at labels who discover these bands you love and put them in your hands?

I fully support downloading music, especially in the instance "try before you by" -- however, I started said argument because you were mad at how Toby acted and you disrespected him. He's a label owner and sees the downloading music issue a lot differently than you. You may like how Bomb the Music Industry releases their music for free, but not every label does / can do that.