Toronto record stores

Where are your favorite places to shop in Toronto. The only places I really go to are Rotate This and Sonic Boom, but thats because they are the only places I know of. I've HEARD of Criminal Records (is it good?), and a place called hit and miss or something (metal and punk I think?). But yeah, where can I go to find sick vinyl in Toronto?

Criminal Records is super friendly and amazing prices. Their selection isn't as big as Sonic Boom's but they have alot of other things to make up for it (shirts, cd's, posters). I always make a stop there when I'm downtown.

I only go to Rotate for concert tickets haha and I want to check out this hit and miss place. Where is it?

Edit: By selection at Criminal, I mean used vinyl.

Criminal Records is just alright, it's on Queen St. as well, just down the street (East) from Rotate This, it's got a big huge silver record on the sidewalk. I say that it's just alright because they only have more mainstream stuff. When I say that, I mean that the most indie stuff they get is Fat, and that's about it.

Stuff you'd find there:

AC/DC

Rage Against The Machine

Bob Marley

Against Me!

NOFX

The Beatles

Tegan & Sara

ect.

Hits and Misses is my absolutely favourite record store in Toronto. It's on Bloor St., West of Sonic Boom. The address is 860 Bloor St. W., it's got a huge Punk/Pop-Punk section, a decent sized Garage, and a pretty decent sized hardcore/crust section. They stock new/used LPs/7"s.

Stuff you'd find there:

Anything on my trade list.

Hits & Misses is great for hardcore/punk. I usually hit that place up every weekend.

Rotate has a good selection of everything else (indie rock, some hip hop, electronic, and a bunch of everything else). Just like Hits & Misses, the prices are reasonable and the guys that work there are generally cool.

For some reason I hate going into Criminal. Small selection, not that great prices and.... I don't know... I just really don't like the vibe of that place.

I need to check out sonic boom. They have a ton of stuff from what I saw when Fucked Up played there. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend.

Haha maybe I just like Criminal because it's so bright and clean. That and the American Apparel next to it could light up the whole street (ever walked by an american apparel at night? it's blinding). Sonic Boom did have a sealed copy of The Zombies "Odessey and Oracle" that I've been looking for. Should have picked it up, oh well. I'll hopefully stop by Hit and Misses this weekend or the next

Honestly, Sonic Boom doesn't have a whole lot of good stuff for me, and the stuff they do have is a little overpriced.

Rotate This has some good stuff sometimes, since they usually stock some Dirtnap/Deranged bands, but the guys who work there are assholes and the music they play in the store is terrible.

If I go into the city, the only store I HAVE to visit is Hits and Misses, but I usually go to Rotate anyways.

Rotate This used to be really cool, but nowadays they don't seem to have anything worth while and you have to be prepared to have the staff REALLY look down their nose at you. Super snobby.

Sonic Boom is cool in that they'll buy anything from you. But their selection of Vinyl is decent, but pricey.

Hit or Miss has a great atmosphere and tons of selection, but it seems to cater mostly towards hardcore and crust.

Criminal Records sort of makes you feel like you're at Hot Topic. The people are nice enough, if not a little hard-sell. The selection is on par with sonic boom, and cheaper. But if you need a neon green studded belt with your vinyl, this is your place.

Slinky Music (across from Criminal) is pretty on point for Hip Hop vinyl, if thats your thing. Always on-top of new releases and very competitive prices. Decent indie section too.

Kops (next to Condom Shack on Queen) has alot of Hip Hop, R&B and Soul, as well as quite a large selection of old 45s.

aaaaand I think thats it.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Hits and Misses being a hardcore/crust store.

That's where I buy most of my vinyl and I can honestly say that they have a huge selection of Pop Punk/Power Pop/Garage/Punk stuff.

Plus the owner, Pete, really knows his stuff. You can talk to that guy about anything.

how hard are these places to find? i'm going to toronto in july would love to check out some record shops.

Very easy to find. Rotate This and Criminal are both on Queen st., which is where everyone goes to shop. And Hits and Misses and Sonic Boom are on Bloor St. (A 5 or so minute street car ride north of Queen)

So say I wanted to find Thursday, Thrice, Saves the Day, Texas Is the Reason... etc.

Where would I go for that? Which one of those stores? I'm going to a Leafs/Bruins game with the girlfriend on Feb. 16th, it's my bday present, so I'm thinking of hitting up a record store as well for my bday (even though it was just after Christmas). Sometimes you gotta treat yourself to a bday present. :)

So ya, where would I go to find stuff like the aforementioned bands?

• 8 years later...