10 inch vs 1 sided 12 inch.

chaps

Oh yeah, you're right. It's the exact same thing as an extra copy of the record. If by extra you mean stuck to the back of the one record and stuck in the same package. That's exactly like an extra copy. Fuckwit.

So you are saying, that having the same thing on both sides isnt like having an extra copy at all? Maybe it isn't for people who just flip gas light releases or only buy records to line up 30 copies and take pictures of them, but for those of us who actualy LISTEN to music, an LP with the same thing on 2 sides is alot nicer than a record with some designs on the back.

I don't do either of the things you describe here, and I do listen to my records, but you are too busy being an overzealous dickhead to care whether your points are valid and fact-based or not. Fuck you and your shitty attitude and blindly lumping people into categories when you know nothing about them. You are a fucking asshole.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, you're right. It's the exact same thing as an extra copy of the record. If by extra you mean stuck to the back of the one record and stuck in the same package. That's exactly like an extra copy. Fuckwit.

So you are saying, that having the same thing on both sides isnt like having an extra copy at all? Maybe it isn't for people who just flip gas light releases or only buy records to line up 30 copies and take pictures of them, but for those of us who actualy LISTEN to music, an LP with the same thing on 2 sides is alot nicer than a record with some designs on the back.

I don't do either of the things you describe here, and I do listen to my records, but you are too busy being an overzealous dickhead to care whether your points are valid and fact-based or not. Fuck you and your shitty attitude and blindly lumping people into categories when you know nothing about them. You are a fucking asshole.

So what good is this etched B side crap while you are LISTENING to your record? It doesn't do anything aside from give you something to brag about to other trendy douchebags.

Lets go over this one more time.

Etched B sides: A solution to the problem of the blank B side, Costs as much as a full record (100-200 which is 10 to 20 cents per LP on a pressing of 1000). Offers no real function as far as music is concerned. Does add a new aesthetic dimension to the LP.

Screen Printed Bsides: Costs less than a second plate, doesnt offer any musical function, if the label does a shitty job, it does just end up making a mess.

Blank B side: Costs Nothing, Adds nothing.

Double A side: Costs as much as Etching, Gives you a back up copy incase the A side gets scratched or played to death over the course of years. Doesn't add anything pretty to the record or package.

So what is it about? Music or something pretty to look at?

So what is it about? Music or something pretty to look at?

why can't it be both?

Why does it have to be both? Why can't we go back to the days when coloured vinyl was a scarce rarity, and every record and its mother was on plain black vinyl, when people bought the records for one single purpose, to listen to them.

why can't it be both?

Why does it have to be both? Why can't we go back to the days when coloured vinyl was a scarce rarity, and every record and its mother was on plain black vinyl, when people bought the records for one single purpose, to listen to them.

Because not every record is a etched b-side. It's a novelty thing to do, which doesn't make it frivolous.

I've only done one etched record and it was because the band wanted it. They had a friend who works with lasers, etch the lacquer plate for free...and it looks cool to me...and it was fun...since I'd never done it before I was interested in the process and the idea of having a cool looking record...as it was the point of doing that 7"(Four Star Alarm) the band had recorded a Sugar cover for a Russian released Sugar tribute record that wasn't going to be physically released(in the end they made like 100 CDs and it's digitally available somewhere)...so the band gave me that and a new song and they had an artist friend draw up original art for the vinyl alone(and did the cover art too)...I think that's pretty cool. Do I regret wasting that "potential music space"? No.

Because it's art. one side is audio artisrty, one side is physical art...

I think at the heart of this, you're pissed about the waste of potential music space and the value of how far your dollar travels in music. Have I bought CDs AND records that are way too short for what I paid for them? yeah.

Do I cry about it? yeah, sometimes I do.

...but I also appreciate the time, the effort, the aesthetic of the whole package in addition to listening to them.

So what good is this etched B side crap while you are LISTENING to your record? It doesn't do anything aside from give you something to brag about to other trendy douchebags.

What good does a B-side do while you are LISTENING to the a-side. You can only play one side at a time! Lighten up man. It's just a record.

What good does a B-side do while you are LISTENING to the a-side. You can only play one side at a time! Lighten up man. It's just a record.

Wait, you are kidding right?

I'd call it having fun with you.

and no, you said what good is it WHILE your playing a record, well WHILE a record is spinning the other side can't do anything for you, etched or not. I read it as you type it.

I'd call it having fun with you.

and no, you said what good is it WHILE your playing a record, well WHILE a record is spinning the other side can't do anything for you, etched or not. I read it as you type it.

But you can still listen to the other side. You know what my records do when they arent being played? Sit in a jacket on a shelf.