Advice on a few record players

zerog

What are some good places to buy "New" turntables. I know of needledoctor.com and then the manufactures websites You guys got any that you would reccomend?

http://www.musicdirect.com/

And I have a direct drive table and I love it. The ability to easily tweak rpm is something i like.

So im torn between two here and i want your guys opinion.

Technics SL 1900 Full Automatic Direct Drive Turntable

[image]

Specifications :

-::- 1977 vintage

-::- Stylus Sure SX R47XT

-::- Side lever-type on / off and up / down switches

-::- Speeds : 33 and 45 rpm with 5% pitch control and strobe plinth markings

-::- Anti-skating variable settings

-::- Platter : aluminium with rubber mat in good condition

-::- Wow & Flutter : 0.03% [+/- 0.042%]Din 45507 weighted

-::- Rumble : -73dB Din45-530 B weighted

-::- Dimensions [ W x H x D ] : 430 x 137 x 334mm

-::- Weight : 7.2kg or 16 Lbs

Denon DP-300F Fully Automatic Turntable

[image]

Denon DP-300F Features:

# Aluminum diecast platter

# Built-in phono preamp

# Belt-drive system with DC servo motor

# Dynamic balance tonearm with universal mount

# Fully automatic operation

# Manual lifter mechanism

# Replaceable moving-magnet cartridge included

# Hinged dustcover

# Minor assembly required

# Speeds: 33 and 45rpm

# Wow & flutter: 0.10%

# Weight: 12.13lbs

# 17-1/16"Wx4-13/16"Hx15"D

# Warranty: 2 years

Guest drahtuos

direct drive technics tt's were originally designed to be audiophile turn tables and were later adopted by dj's.

from the wikipedia entry on the technics sl-1200 series:

"The Technics SL-1200 is a series of turntables manufactured since October 1972 by Matsushita under the brand name of Technics. Originally released as a high fidelity consumer record player, it quickly became adopted among radio and club disc jockeys."

"The SL-1200 series was developed as a special project by Technics parent company Matsushita in an attempt to solve many of the problems related to the difficult task of turntable design. The task included minimizing acoustic feedback, unwanted resonances, wow & flutter and speed errors.

This was achieved by designing a remarkably heavy plinth made of a non-resonant composite sandwiched between a cast alloy top plate and a solid rubber base. In addition, the adjustable rubber damped feet ensure that the Technics SL-1200 series are well insulated against acoustic feedback, which can be a serious problem when operating a turntable in close proximity to PA loudspeakers (a common situation for DJ's).

The drive system designed by Matsushita is of the direct-drive variety rather than the more commonly found belt-drive type. This design was developed in order to virtually eliminate the problems of wow and flutter and produces a very quiet turntable which, for a direct drive turntable, has minimal motor and bearing noise, (although the bearing rumble does tend to become characteristic in well used turntables). The SL-1200 utilizes a Frequency Generator Servo Control Quartz Lock system that is claimed to produce the most accurate and consistent speed possible. The system is immune to static and dynamic stylus drag which would otherwise cause unwanted speed variances that change the pitch and tempo of the music. Due to these strengths the SL-1200 lends itself to both Hi-Fi reproduction and demanding DJ usage."

i've got an sl-1210m5g or for short the "grand master", i love it more than anything else i own.

though i'd say any 1200 is going to do ya just fine.

direct drive technics tt's were originally designed to be audiophile turn tables and were later adopted by dj's.

from the wikipedia entry on the technics sl-1200 series:

"The Technics SL-1200 is a series of turntables manufactured since October 1972 by Matsushita under the brand name of Technics. Originally released as a high fidelity consumer record player, it quickly became adopted among radio and club disc jockeys."

"The SL-1200 series was developed as a special project by Technics parent company Matsushita in an attempt to solve many of the problems related to the difficult task of turntable design. The task included minimizing acoustic feedback, unwanted resonances, wow & flutter and speed errors.

This was achieved by designing a remarkably heavy plinth made of a non-resonant composite sandwiched between a cast alloy top plate and a solid rubber base. In addition, the adjustable rubber damped feet ensure that the Technics SL-1200 series are well insulated against acoustic feedback, which can be a serious problem when operating a turntable in close proximity to PA loudspeakers (a common situation for DJ's).

The drive system designed by Matsushita is of the direct-drive variety rather than the more commonly found belt-drive type. This design was developed in order to virtually eliminate the problems of wow and flutter and produces a very quiet turntable which, for a direct drive turntable, has minimal motor and bearing noise, (although the bearing rumble does tend to become characteristic in well used turntables). The SL-1200 utilizes a Frequency Generator Servo Control Quartz Lock system that is claimed to produce the most accurate and consistent speed possible. The system is immune to static and dynamic stylus drag which would otherwise cause unwanted speed variances that change the pitch and tempo of the music. Due to these strengths the SL-1200 lends itself to both Hi-Fi reproduction and demanding DJ usage."

i've got an sl-1210m5g or for short the "grand master", i love it more than anything else i own.

though i'd say any 1200 is going to do ya just fine.

Personally, i just can't see myself spending anything more than $400 on a record player right now. I do have a really good sound system for whatever record player i buy. I had the Project III and comparing it to some of the cheaper vintage models and even some of todays models, it doesn't sound THAT different for what i paid.

After 3 days of consideration and some homework, I've decided to get the Denon dp-300F. It's is selling EVERYWHERE for 329.00 and i ended up getting it for 239.00 ppd. I read nothing but good things about this player as a entry level and a serious competitor again music hall's entry level and even rega's. Those are all selling for over $400.

Now i plan to buy a really nice cartridge for the denon, not to sure yet what i want, but im leaning towards Grace or shure..

i wouldnt want anything with a built in preamp

How come?

built in preamps usually aren't going to be the best quality because they are a convenience. They are usually made as cheaply as possible to still provide the convenience but also keep the price down. But if memory serves me right you can bypass the preamp on the denon, which is a nice option.

How come?

built in preamps usually aren't going to be the best quality because they are a convenience. They are usually made as cheaply as possible to still provide the convenience but also keep the price down. But if memory serves me right you can bypass the preamp on the denon, which is a nice option.

Yep, when i saw the option to bypass it i thought this could be the one. Plus if i ever buy a brand new receiver i guess it could come in handy. Right now i got a Onyko T-4500 and its awesome.