Advice on a few record players

zerog

Im trying to decide on which player to get. I have a very nice set up and need something that's going to have good sound. I've narrowed it down to a few. Any advice would be great!

Technics SL 1900 Full Automatic Direct Drive Turntable W/ Sure Cartridge ($200)

[image]

Denon DP-300F Fully Automatic Analog Turntable ($250ppd)

[image]

Technics SL-BD20 Automatic Turntable ($80)

[image]

Obviously the technics are both from the 1970's and they are on ebay, they are very good condition. The denon is brand new and im leaning towards that one.

Thoughts?

My old turntable was a Technics SL-22D(K) and I had that for over 10 years. I was perfectly happy w/ it. I don't remember what cartridge I put on it a couple years ago, but it was an improvement. I was starting to think the belt might need to be replaced or maybe the motor, but it wasn't consistent and wasn't major. Just a couple odd things on a couple records.

I just upgraded to a Technics SL-1210MKII w/ a Shure M97xE cartridge and I am really digging it, but that was a splurge.

After researching and asking around, I think that 'true audiophile' stuff about belt being better than direct drive is pretty much nonsense w/o a real high-end sound system or something.

I've heard good things about the Pro-Ject but I thought they were ugly. I also heard good things about Denon, their direct-drive one anyway.

And, the Audio Technica, as well, which was a little surprising to me for some reason.

I will say a non-automatic return turntable is a bit of a drag, since I listen to records mostly while I'm working at home, so I have to pay attention to when the side is over. It's probably a good thing I have been liquidating all my 7 inches and don't really care about listening to 7 inches anymore.

But, I am def. digging my new setup, and, I was fine w/ my old one too.

Fuck all those turntables. If you are going to go eBay, get yourself one of these bad boys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dual-606-direct-drive-turntable-with-Ortofon-VMS5E-MKII_W0QQitemZ280304790647QQihZ018QQcategoryZ48649QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[image]

Dual 606. I've had one for about 15 years. It's the best.

direct drive is always better. i have a technics 1200 mk2, its amazing. also, be careful with shure. if you're going with shure, get the m97xe. it's incredible.

Direct drive is not necessarily better. The cheaper models have the platter directly mounted on the motor underneath. This can cause vibration problems. The Technics however uses a magnetic direct drive system. The turntable is basically a big induction motor with the platter being the rotor. (I also have a 1200 MK2, and it's great.)

When I was looking to upgrade I looked at Technics and Rega, and similar belt driven designs. After doing some reading there's a lot of Audiophiles out there that actually prefer Technics 12XX with an audiophile needle over Rega, or the like. I choose the Technics 12XX with an Audio Technica AT110-E cartridge and I haven't regretted it.

<3 Erik

I've got that Denon table and I love it! I don't think it is an audiophile turntable, but I'm lucky to hear the damn thing at all after all the shows that I used to go to without ear plugs.

You will probably want to upgrade the cartridge at some point, but the one it comes with is fine for me.

I would really consider it if you are not looking for an audiophile turntable.

consider that you'll be getting a used table w/o warranty if you go used. You'll also be dealing with the packing whims of 'some guy'. I've heard some pretty scary stories about packaging mishaps with record players. For that reason alone I would recommend the Denon. If you're not happy with it, you'll also probably have a better chance at returning it. If you do go with the used TT make sure they 'double' box them when shipping and make sure you get enough insurance to cover it.

consider that you'll be getting a used table w/o warranty if you go used. You'll also be dealing with the packing whims of 'some guy'. I've heard some pretty scary stories about packaging mishaps with record players. For that reason alone I would recommend the Denon. If you're not happy with it, you'll also probably have a better chance at returning it. If you do go with the used TT make sure they 'double' box them when shipping and make sure you get enough insurance to cover it.

Well, i wouldnt just buy from anyone of course. Some of the items on ebay are from sellers with over thousands of positive reviews and how they do such a good job in packaging it. They also include insurance.