Michiganians and Ontarians: Help Cheer Us Up

stefan

A death in the family has caused me and my wife to brave the northern passage from New York to Lansing, MI at the end of the week.

To lift spirits, we're looking for some diversions (record stores) along the sparsely populated way:

[image]

I'll add some stops on our route map if anyone has good tips.

The candidates so far include:

+ The Record Works, Woodstock, Ontario

+ Speed City Records, London ON

+ Flat, Black & Circular, East Lansing, MI

+ The Record Lounge, East Lansing, MI

If you have knowledge of these or things to do in Lansing, that too would be appreciated. Eventually, the info here will get absorbed into the often-talked-about-never-implemented "List of Good Record Stores".

speed city records in london is AWESOME. i have gotten a lot of really great stuff there. mike, the owner, is a really nice guy too. enjoy your stop there!

sonic unyon used to be in hamilton but they've closed (i think?). check out www.sonicunyon.com for more info.

oh, and if you stray into toronto from your planned route, check out:

rotate this (queen st. west) www.rotate.com

hits and misses (860 bloor street west @ ossington)

:-*

Orange Monkey Records (5 Princess Street West Waterloo - (519) 886-0939) is pretty awesome. I would recommend checking it out. I'd say it'll be about a 20 minute (each way) detour off of that route. If you decide to check it out I would also hit up Encore Records (54 Queen Street South Waterloo - (519) 744-1370).

EDIT: Sonic Unyon was open as of a few months ago. I hope it hasn't closed. If you go, be aware that it might look closed, but try all the doors on the building. It'll probably be open. There is also another record store right beside it that was half decent too.

^^ Your talking about Dr. Disc. Not too much on the new releases for rock, but they have a TON of hip hop vinyl downstairs. I've never really checked out Sonic Unyon, so I'll have to eventually (I work in Downtown Hamilton).

Cheapies has a huge selection of old used vinyl and a small rack of new vinyl, but I wouldn't reccomend going to far out of your way for Cheapies.

I'm actually going to London for the Thrice/Attack in Black/Say Anything show on Sunday, what kind of vinyl am I gonna find at "Speed City" and "The Record Works"? I may have to hit those up on the way home on Monday if they sound good. Someone let me know. Am I gonna see Thursday, Saves the Day, Minus the Bear, etc. or am I gonna see Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen, etc.?

I'm back and thought I'd give a quick review for the people who were interested:

+ The Record Works, Woodstock, Ontario

Not much vinyl, just a few hundred mixed "rock" LPs. Nothing new and nothing exciting. They have a crapload of used music DVDs though.

+ Speed City Records, London ON

This place is awesome, almost exclusively packed with punk/psychobilly/garage/metal. So many records that I didn't have time to look at the new ones. The used records are almost entirely uniformly priced at $5/7", $10/LP (Canadian). While this is steep for most of the stock, it means that if you're looking for something that usually sells in th $10-30 range, you'll find it here for $10. Don't forget to check out all the walls.

Highly recommended.

+ Flat, Black & Circular, East Lansing, MI

Right across from the MSU campus, this store was pretty packed on a Saturday morning. Well-stocked all around but all of the 'rock' was thrown in together so you'll need some time. The new stuff is usually $1-2 above what you can find it for online but they seem to get a good amount of used stuff through the door and it's priced well. Picked up the "Happy Meals" LP with Armchair Martian for $3.50 sealed and a stack of other OOP comps for similar prices. Heavy emphasis on regional stuff (like Able Baker Fox) which I always love to see in a store.

+ The Record Lounge, East Lansing, MI

Just a few blocks down from FBC but I ran out of time.

there is absolutely nothing in brantford... sorry man!

but i've checked out speed city in london, and it's awesome.

also 'Grooves' in london was pretty decent... from what i remember.

I'm going to back this. These guys are the nicest people I've ever met in a record store. They used to give me promo posters off of the wall all the time. I got a really awesome Tom Waits one for free.