Records that 'Crackle' when you play them.

corbet

Guest genericinsight
I've always wondered this myself but didn't ask in fear of being yelled at.

maybe it has to do with the mastering?

well I'll be damned, and stupid. I never realized dust/static was a main cause of this. shows how much I know. my dust brush and cloth was mailed today according to the email I got from turntablebasics.com, so I should have it by next week. I'm ready for a whole new record listening experience that I've been missing out on all these years.

Audio quality (or the lack thereof) can be attributed to a lot of different things, dust being just one of them. The thickness and purity of the vinyl also has a lot to do with it. I've also noticed at times, with new records, that they will be "pitted," meaning there are tiny dents on the surface, caused by god knows what. This is sure to effect the quality of playback. Also, if there's too much audio crammed onto a side, the grooves are closer together and cause a drop in quality, as well as skipping. Hopefully this helps.

Guest genericinsight
Also, if there's too much audio crammed onto a side, the grooves are closer together and cause a drop in quality, as well as skipping. Hopefully this helps.

this is a very good point. I have noticed some of my records where the grooves are more spaced out sound a LOT better than records where the ones where they're closer together. My Tim Barry LP's are perfect examples of this, as each only has a limited amount of audio and thus, spaced out grooves.

could it also be maybe depending on whether the record plays at 45rpm vs. 33rpm? I've noticed some of the 33rpm records sound a little better than the 45rpm ones.

Does anyone else like the crackle and pops that some records make?

Yeah, I do a little actually.

But one of my records has some serious static pretty much throughout the entire record. It's been like that since I took the shrink off. Can that really be dust?

my guess would be that the mastering or some other audio production on the record just isn't very good. I have a few records that just don't sound all that good and there isn't anything wrong with them.

Also, if there's too much audio crammed onto a side, the grooves are closer together and cause a drop in quality, as well as skipping. Hopefully this helps.

this is a very good point. I have noticed some of my records where the grooves are more spaced out sound a LOT better than records where the ones where they're closer together. My Tim Barry LP's are perfect examples of this, as each only has a limited amount of audio and thus, spaced out grooves.

could it also be maybe depending on whether the record plays at 45rpm vs. 33rpm? I've noticed some of the 33rpm records sound a little better than the 45rpm ones.

Actually 45rpm generally produces better sound quality than 33rpm, due to the amount of space it takes up on the record. Faster speed = more space. But all the other factors I mentioned come into play as well.

• 1 month later...
What causes this? I noticed that some of my records have lots of background crackling. An example of this is my copy of mewithoutYou's Brother, Sister, by Burn Toast. Tons of crackling. My other mewithoutYou records (from Gilead) sound perfect.

my brother, sister album has some parts on it that skip at the same place during 'messes of men'. i compared it to my friends lp, and it has the same skip at the exact same place in the song. i'm pretty sure gileads releases are a much better quality...

but anyway, have you used the fiber brush/cloth yet? have they worked in the way you wanted them to? give us some feedback...