Stereo receiver question...

So the day I move back to my parents, I get my stuff all hooked up and start to listen to a record and all of a sudden my Sony receiver shuts off. Now it won't turn back on, so I figure maybe since it is older it just blew a fuse or something, so I unhook it and hook up my cheap onkyo and it has worked fine for the last 3 or 4 days. Now today I am once again listening to some records, and the onkyo shuts off and now it too will not turn back on. Anyone ever heard of this? I have other stuff plugged into the outlet, and they are still working fine. It just seems odd to me that something like this is happening to the receivers, but not to any of my other electronics.

I was planning on checking that out this weekend. I don't see how it could already be the outlet since we just redid all the wiring in my room last year. It is odd nothing else is having any problems either. I'll have my dad call my neighbor when he gets home later since he is an electrician, and have him check it out since I'd rather not fry my xbox or my new TV.