Cool record related project I have been given...

My neighbor across the street asked me to see if I could digitize a 78 he has from 1952, which features his mother singing in a concert downtown. He also gave me a 45 which his uncle recorded about what was going on where he was with his platoon in WWII. I think it's really cool that I can help him have a copies of these that he can have for a long time. The problem I am facing now is that both are scratched pretty significantly, and I can't tell if the 78 is vinyl or shellac. I'm going to try to clean them up as best I can, and see if I can at least record a copy all the way through, then try to restore it with digital tools. It may be a big project to pull off, but I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

Guest markovianprocess
that is pretty awesome. I have an LP of my grandfather's church choir from the late 60's/early 70's. I haven't really tried to listen to it, I have it in a frame hanging up, if I get a USB turntable I might try to rip it for him and throw it on a CD.

If you have a headphone socket on your record player what's stopping you hooking it up to your audio in port on your computer and recording it like that?