Teachers who make finals impossible.

Fuck them. Pour gasoline on their heads and light them on fire. If you're just starting to teach hard ass formulas five minutes before the end of the last class and you don't finish then don't fucking put that shit on the final. I had a 78 going into this final and I'm pretty sure I did bad enough to fail the whole class. FUCK.

i've used a lot of things from random classes i took that i thought i'd never need, surprisingly enough.

the only thing about post-college life i like more than college life is more spending money and once i go home for the day i dont have to study/think about work in the evenings/on the weekend.

Everything you think you know about the future will probably be wrong. I had lots of ideas about what post college life would be, most were wrong. And yes, you will be asked to figure stuff out with no explanation, massive stuff, and often with little time to do it.

Again, i agree, but not about formulas. I know my job and I know the fields I'm going into dude. I'm not going to be asked esoteric formulas while organizing health fairs and doing home visits. I'll have to figure out how to get 200 kids from six different projects to and event on time with no transport, but thankfully that isn't going to involve a formula i've just been introduced to. You can stop talking down to me whenever you like, since you've got no idea what you're talking about. Figuring out shit without explanation is different than being asked to remember a formula without it being properly briefed. One allows for the chance that you'll be able to figure it out with basic life skills. One is asking you to pull a formula out of your ass.

I think curves are dumb but throwing out major outliers makes perfect sense. If 2 out of 50 people get 90+ but everyone else is under 70 give the two people an A+ and move around grading so everyone doesn't fail. Doing that is not a curve, a curve dictates a certain number of people get As, Bs, etc and I hate that.

As for finals, I always felt if finals are all encompassing and you get an A you should at least pass the class regardless of grade coming in to the final. There's caveats, I get that but if you can get a A or B on an all-encompassing final you obviously learned what you needed to.

Everything you think you know about the future will probably be wrong. I had lots of ideas about what post college life would be, most were wrong. And yes, you will be asked to figure stuff out with no explanation, massive stuff, and often with little time to do it.

Cynical much?

This thread makes me think of the prof who tried to fail me last quarter.

I've had him a few times. All semester he'd look at my work and say things like "oh that looks good" or "good job" or "this is fine" and then end up giving me a C- for the semester. WTF? So the last couple times I had him I would then proceed to ask him "what can I do to make this project even better." His response: "Just play with the type a little bit" or "just play with the images."

Flash forward to last semester all semester long he would either tell me I was doing fine or brush me off when I asked him for help and ended up emailing me telling me my project was inadequate and he was going to fail me. Thankfully I just ended up with a D instead (probably thanks to someone awesome in the graphic design department). Fuck that guy. If I see him I can't promise that I won't throw down.

I've had him a few times. All semester he'd look at my work and say things like "oh that looks good" or "good job" or "this is fine" and then end up giving me a C- for the semester. WTF? So the last couple times I had him I would then proceed to ask him "what can I do to make this project even better." His response: "Just play with the type a little bit" or "just play with the images."

Flash forward to last semester all semester long he would either tell me I was doing fine or brush me off when I asked him for help and ended up emailing me telling me my project was inadequate and he was going to fail me. Thankfully I just ended up with a D instead (probably thanks to someone awesome in the graphic design department). Fuck that guy. If I see him I can't promise that I won't throw down.

Can't you go to a higher-up about that kind of stuff?

Can't you go to a higher-up about that kind of stuff?

I was going to until I found out I didn't fail the class. He's a really tenured professor at my school and I knew it would be really really hard to fight the grade.

ove the course of my college career i've found that most tenured professors suck. they don't give a shit anymore because their job is safe for the most part. adjuncts are slightly better but not by much. some of the best professors i've had were ones that were trying to get tenure, i learned the most from them and had fun doing it.

I'm a teacher right now, finishing up my master's in educational leadership (administration/principal/director/etc.) and I agree with the original poster. It sounds like the professor was doing a rush job lesson to make sure he/she was able to include a formula on a final. If my class does not have time to make it to a certain lesson during the tenure of the class, then I simply take that question or questions off the final itself.

Speaking of teaching, my last day (faculty day) was yesterday! The summer has officially started for myself!

Good luck with the class bro.

I'm a teacher right now, finishing up my master's in educational leadership (administration/principal/director/etc.) and I agree with the original poster. It sounds like the professor was doing a rush job lesson to make sure he/she was able to include a formula on a final. If my class does not have time to make it to a certain lesson during the tenure of the class, then I simply take that question or questions of the final itself.

Speaking of teaching, my last day (faculty day) was yesterday! The summer has officially started for myself!

Good luck with the class bro.

but Troy don't you know college is a place where you go to pay thousands of dollars a year to learn the earth is a cold dark place that will bend you over fuck you in the ass and make you figure out how to deal with it alone?!? ;)