July Label of the Month: Magic Bullet Recordings

Guest admin1338560633

Guest Admin

[image]

I am honored to bring you our July Label of the Month, Magic Bullet Recordings. Magic Bullet has put out so many incredible bands since their beginning in 1996 including Boy Sets Fire who "peer-pressured" Brent into putting out their first album. Since that first release, they have released records from a diverse number of bands from This Will Destroy You, Austin Lucas, Doomriders, Golden City, Boris, Ringfinger, and later this year, they will begin reissuing the Christie Front Drive catalog (stoked for this, used to see CFD back in the mid 90's). Magic Bullet was started and continues to run on D.I.Y. ethics. And in their 13 year history, the label has long been releasing vinyl. Brent was kind enough to discuss what he looks for in a band, why he puts out vinyl, thoughts on variants, and much more.

Also worth noting is Magic Bullet's recent announcement that they will be giving away much of their digital catalog away for free through a partnership with gimmesound.com who shares ad revenue with labels and artists for their legal, free downloads.

Thanks Brent for taking the time to answer these questions. Everyone please take a second to check out the feature, check out the label, and hell download some of their tracks for free.

Read the interview on the VC site here:

http://www.vinylcollective.com/2009/07/02/july-vc-label-of-the-month-magic-bullet-recordings/

Guest Admin
Brent's a really great guy. That was a good read.

If I had to pick my favorite Magic Bullet release it'd be Loser Life - I Have Ghosts, I Have Ghosts...awesome album.

great comment. Everyone else, What is your favorite Magic Bullet release?

Interviews came out at an amazing time. That record is flawless. Document 7 saw the vinyl release through MB and that reocrd is great too. Brent has always be direct and pleasant to deal with and because of his consistancy he has a loyal following. Good work dude! Gonna do an order for that integrity set soon and I'm finally going to pick up the wata deck.

Guest afsdan

the Maj Rule records slay. those still hold up great.

Golden City and Loser Life are both the shit!

great label. I like the Pushead direction Brent is taking...

brent is a solid dude. he has hooked me up over the years and totally deserves this. everybody @magic bullet is very friendly and they know their music. great pick!! my favs are:

-OLD MAN GLOOM-"Christmas"

-SOME DAY SOON-"The Cavenline"-underrated band (put this out as a 7" please)

-BOY SETS FIRE-"This Crying, This Screaming, My Voice Is Being Born"

-CAVE IN-"Moons of Jupiter"

-WAIFLE / pg.99-"Do You Need A Place To Stay?"

-TO DREAM OF AUTUMN / BRIGHT CALM BLUE-"Split"

-FORENSICS-"On A Bridge Atop The Heap Of Friends Who Jumped"

too many more, but these are up there

How insane is "The Chase"? That song is my favorite on that record. My friends are finally into this band so it's nice to be able to listen to them at poker night or at parties.

It's also my favorite leaving work record. Put that shit on as loud as it will go and blow off some steam on the drive home.

A new Disfear record would be killer too.

Guest afsdan
To Dream of Autumn was fucking gooooooooood
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!

all should know and love this band

Aww, thanks for the interview/coverage Virgil. And thanks to all you VC board folks for the very nice things to say. Made my day.

Regarding those free digital downloads, you can pull a bunch of stuff down from:

http://www.gimmesound.com/magicbulletrecords

More content going up very soon.

How soon until we hear a little more on the Christie Front Drive releases?

Currently working on the VHS->digital transfers for the DVD we wanted to toss in with the vinyl and CD reissues.

circlingvultures - Nate let me hear the fully-mastered Doomriders record last night ("Darkness Come Alive"). It completely blew me away... such a huge step up for them. I have no doubt that it's going to be one of your favorites for the whole year when all is said and done.

Aww, thanks for the interview/coverage Virgil. And thanks to all you VC board folks for the very nice things to say. Made my day.

Regarding those free digital downloads, you can pull a bunch of stuff down from:

http://www.gimmesound.com/magicbulletrecords

More content going up very soon.

How soon until we hear a little more on the Christie Front Drive releases?

Currently working on the VHS->digital transfers for the DVD we wanted to toss in with the vinyl and CD reissues.

circlingvultures - Nate let me hear the fully-mastered Doomriders record last night ("Darkness Come Alive"). It completely blew me away... such a huge step up for them. I have no doubt that it's going to be one of your favorites for the whole year when all is said and done.

i just got hard :D

Brent's a really great guy. That was a good read.

If I had to pick my favorite Magic Bullet release it'd be Loser Life - I Have Ghosts, I Have Ghosts...awesome album.

great comment. Everyone else, What is your favorite Magic Bullet release?

I just can't get enough of the This Will Destroy You/Lymbyc Systym split & the Golden City 10" at the moment!