Skinhead question -

sickteen

Thank you for clearing up the neo-nazi term by definition. Because I've read it before in fanzines/interviews. But never knew what it was about.

So being a skinhead is a fashion statement that was spawned from Jamaica ? Not saying your wrong, there just seems to be something missing here to me...

The term Skin Head wasn't spawned from Jamaica. Original Skins were influenced by the Rude Boys coming out of Jamaica with sounds based around Reggae and Ska. It was this kind of amalgamated with the 60's mod movement coupled with the working class nature of the people. they original wore Doc Martins because they were practical.

It's a bit outdated, but a good watch if you have an hour to kill.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8346331777862222581#

Thank you for clarifying your post for me. I will take a look at the link tonight!

Didn't bother to read any of the previous posts, but here's an easy breakdown.

Traditionals like vespas, reggae, and shitty english beer. They also would rather work hard for their money and usually are pretty normal dudes.

ARA (Non-racist skins) like to beat up people under the guise of being righteous.

Nazi's co-oped the uniform to further their cause.

Skins originated in the UK in the late 60's early 70's and often ended up in violent clashes with Indians and other immigrants because they were for National Pride and more importantly, they and their parents were losing jobs to foreigners (not to mention poor, near depression times in England), which is when the nazi movement moved in and cooped it.

Find the book "Spirit of '69: A skinhead Bible" for a bit more depth.

And yes it is still relevant when people still consider themselves traditionals but are constantly met with misinformed people who think they are nazis.

Terrific break down. More along the lines of what I was grasping for to begin with. Also that book recommendation is now high priority on my list of things to read!

thank you

sickteen

Now let me tell you a story

of a big ole' skinhead

On a tragic and fateful day

He put 10 cents in his pocket

kicked his wife and family

And went to ride on the M.B.T.A.

Did he ever return,

no he never returned

and his fate is still unknown

he may ride forever

neath the Streets of Boston

he's a skinhead who never returned.

Skinhead goes down to the Kendall Sq. Station

and he changes For Jamaica Plain,

the conductor says skinhead I need a nickel,

skinhead punches him in the brain.

Now all night long

skinhead drives through the station

Wondering who can I go and see

Can't afford to buy crack in Chelsea

or a bundle in Roxbury.

Skinhead's wife goes to the Scollay Square Station

Everyday at quarter past two,

and through the open window

She hands skinhead a grenade

as the train comes a rumbling through.

Now you citizens of Boston

don't you think it's a scandal

How the skinhead stole the train

What's the big fuckin' deal,

he'll work for beer

Let skinhead drive that fuckin' train.

He's the skinhead who never returned.

I said the skin never returns.

I was a traditional skinhead for many years. I still ride scooters and hang out with skinheads, just not really my thing any more. In America (for Europe/England the below information may not apply), it's actually fairly easy to tell a racist skinhead (commonly referred to as a bonehead by traditional/sharp skins). If you see a skinhead who is dressed nice and generally takes pride in his/her appearance, 99% of the time they will be traditional/sharp. Boneheads rarely sport the whole skinhead look (ben sherman, fred perry, docs, levi's). Also, this may sound weird, but length of hair is also an indication. Traditional/sharp skins rarely shave their heads with a razor. Most shave it with a 1 or 2 guard on the clippers. If you have any questions, PM me and I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Spirit of 69 is a boring read but will explain the fashion side of the skinhead movement as well as the history. Skinhead Nation is a little more interesting as it is more current but doesn't really go into the history aspect of the movement.

It used to be so easy:

red laces=nazi

white laces=white power

yellow laces=sharp

black laces=stock laces or oi skin

pink laces=gay sharp or old school nazi with faded laces

black and white checkered laces=ska skinhead

leather laces=mountain man

no laces=suicidal escapee from drug rehab

Dora the explorer laces=super duper nazi