I've lost all hope for Epitaph as a label

Guest kingbuzzo
Epitaph and Anti- have Tom Waits, Converge, Neko Case and Weakerthans. That's all I can think of, but that's about all I need out of any label.

epitaph released fucking dangerdoom! i know most of you dont listen to hip hop but that was the best album of 2005. and dont forget about sage francis (also hip hop). just because they dont have "punk" acts who are too good to stay with them doesnt mean they suck as a label. theyre starting to accept different types of artists to their label and i hate that theyre getting called out for it. sorry guys... (here come the -1's)

For real though, Dangerdoom sucked. MF Doom is a horrible rapper and I'm not impressed with Dangermouse. Now Sage Francis, he's got some good stuff. I thought his new one was really good. The hip-hop Epitaph is going with though is pretty safe stuff as far as people buying it. The only time they seem to be branching out is when its an act that has an established rep or a new band embracing the latest shitty trend.

Guest kingbuzzo
MF Doom is great, you're drunk.

Sage Francis is the dull one. His lyrics are really good, but he's such a boring artist.

Cadence Weapon wasn't really all that established. Epitaph picked him up for the U.S. release of his debut. Busdriver isn't all that popular either.

No way man, I can count the MF Doom songs I like on one hand. On the other hand though, I really like his beats. His rapping is just boring. I'll admit Sage Francis can get boring sometimes but his albums usually come out well. I'll give you Cadence Weapon although he wasn't that unknown if you followed underground hip-hop. Busdriver though was pretty known to underground heads so I wouldn't say he was a huge gamble.

Epitaph and Anti- have Tom Waits, Converge, Neko Case and Weakerthans. That's all I can think of, but that's about all I need out of any label.

epitaph released fucking dangerdoom! i know most of you dont listen to hip hop but that was the best album of 2005. and dont forget about sage francis (also hip hop). just because they dont have "punk" acts who are too good to stay with them doesnt mean they suck as a label. theyre starting to accept different types of artists to their label and i hate that theyre getting called out for it. sorry guys... (here come the -1's)

edit: story of the year is THE best live show in post hardcore... nobody else does backflips off of their amps in the middle of a breakdown... rediculous energy!

Story of the Year plays pop music with heavy-ish guitars.

But the reason I say Epitaph has lost it is because they're now chasing pop artists with No Substance. That's why its an issue. Brett, as a founding member of Bad fucking Religion should have more ethics than to simple sign artists to chase dollars. Now, having some to fund others makes sense but its gotten out of hand.

i think that as long as epitaph is putting out seriously credible music through anti- theyre going to be ok... one of the newer releases on anti porter wagoner is awesome... seriously painful country in the vain of j. cash. worth a listen. and tom waits has shown that he will never put out a bad album and now every one of them is going to sell like crazy.

no label has nothing but first rate bands... not even hydrahead or constellation...

i think that as long as epitaph is putting out seriously credible music through anti- theyre going to be ok... one of the newer releases on anti porter wagoner is awesome... seriously painful country in the vain of j. cash. worth a listen. and tom waits has shown that he will never put out a bad album and now every one of them is going to sell like crazy.

no label has nothing but first rate bands... not even hydrahead or constellation...

True but there's a major difference between first rate and immoral/unethical/craptacular.