need a new preamp/receiver...help!

I have a Pro-ject Tube Box II and I'm pretty happy with it. Before that I had a cheap ART preamp and I absolutely hated it. You get what you pay for. Cheap products will sound like shit and break frequently. I returned my ART preamp 4 times before upgrading to the Pro-ject. I've had it for over a year and have never had a problem.

http://vinylcollective.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2406

i know it says "help me choose a new turntable" but there is a ton of stuff about receivers and preamps and shit in there... you dont have to filter through all the pages either, most of them are just repeats... the first couple of pages is where you'll find a ton of helpful info

Do a Craigslist search in your area(s) for "receiver." Also check thrift stores. Your best bet is a vintage receiver with phono in. Mine's a Marantz and I love it. But a receiver from the 90s or earlier is honestly going to sound loads better for less money than anything modern you can pick up in a reasonable price range.

Go used/vintage. New ones are decent, but to be able to top a great vintage performer you will have to shell out a outrageous amounts of money, and more for a pre-amp. I got a Denon PMA-777 integrated amp which retailed in 1984 for ~$600, and I got it in mint condition for 100 bones on CL. It replaced a year old Onkyo and this smokes it in every way. Plus the older gear is built to last, unlike most stuff built these days.

Summer is pretty much here so start scouring yard sales, Craigslist, any other sort of local advertisements, any shop that sells used gear. Deals are out there :D

i picked up a hitachi 6.1 surround sound amp which has a phono stage inbuilt for $120 and even though its not a dedicated sound receiver (its obviously built for home cinema systems), it still slays my previous Denon amp. it could do with a bit more sound manipulation buttons and knobs (it only has bass and treble), but its fantastic for the money and we'll be able to add on a proper home cinema, and tape decks and other shit like that in the future without any dramas.