Nikon DSLR's

buy a used d70s for around $300.

edit: if you have more money to spend, add the 50mm lens for $125 and if you want a zoom 70-300mm for $150. I shoot canon but I think these prices are right and know the d70s and 50mm are winners.

edit again: I looked it up and the 18-70mm lens usually comes with the d70s, that is also a good lens and pretty good one to have on for every day walking around, it it around $200 used.

d3000 is probably towards the top of my price range... $1000 on a camera is certainly tops. depends if i can get a new job or not, but i'd have a very hard time spending more than that on anything really.

well, a d3000 is literally the bottom of the line entry level dslr, haha. so you won't find anything new cheaper than that.

buy a used d70s for around $300.

edit: if you have more money to spend, add the 50mm lens for $125 and if you want a zoom 70-300mm for $150. I shoot canon but I think these prices are right and know the d70s and 50mm are winners.

edit again: I looked it up and the 18-70mm lens usually comes with the d70s, that is also a good lens and pretty good one to have on for every day walking around, it it around $200 used.

i used a d70s for forever and a day and i loved it. but after using my d300 its a night and day difference. i'd say go for a used d80 just because of the leaps and bounds in digital photography since the d70s. here's one on b&h for under $500 (body only):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800703266-USE/Nikon_25412_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

then i'd recommend a 50mm (either 1.8 or 1.4, whichever you can afford) and a decent mid-range zoom to round it out.

false.

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d300-vs-d90-high-iso-noise-comparison

Pretty sure there are tons of tests that produce the same results all over the Internet..

everything i've read said the differences are pretty negligable.

plus, i'll take my d300 over the d90 any day for various other reasons, ahaha. though the video capability of the d90 would be nice.